Caribou Gear Tarp

What brand of food saver bags to use for elk meat

dcamp

Hi Guys,

I have a food saver and was wondering what brand of bags do you recommend. I am going for a cow elk in a couple of weeks and was wondering what people recommend.

thanks,
Doug

I have had good luck with the bulk vac bags from webstaurantstore.com

I use the Mainstay brand which I think is the Wal-mart house brand. Less expensive than Food Saver and seal better if there's any moisture in the bag trying to creep out, though they don't seem to be as heavy. The contents won't last long enough to worry much about freezer burn.

Whatever kind that you get, try to find the 4 mil bags. They do not get dinged as easily, due to thickness. While shifting frozen stuff around in the freezer, it is real easy to end up with small dings in bags, that allow for freezer burn to take over.

Whatever kind that you get, try to find the 4 mil bags. They do not get dinged as easily, due to thickness. While shifting frozen stuff around in the freezer, it is real easy to end up with small dings in bags, that allow for freezer burn to take over.
I started using the Heavy Duty Foodsaver bags this fall for this reason. I haven't had one leak yet while thawing.

I use the FoodSaver brand bags I buy at Costco when they are on sale. I used the Ziploc brand vacuum bags ONCE. They don't seal for crap.

I pick up the foodsaver heavy duty ones when they go on sale on their website. Looked up my last order and I bought the 11" x 16' rolls for $3.80 each and the 8" x 20' rolls for $4.00 each. Free shipping but had to pay sales tax getting them delivered to Texas.

I buy the commercial grade rolls on Amazon. They are a lot cheaper and work just as good as the Food Saver brand.

I've tried 5 different brands or so and I think the cabelas bags are my favorite. They feel the thickest and I haven't had many issues with them getting dinged up in the freezer. I'm using the Food Saver ones from costco at the moment, they're doing alright but I still prefer the Cabelas brand. They're surprisingly cheap too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back