What are your 2020 plans?

What I'm putting in for.
Plan A: try for a WY cow tag if drawn try for a few deer and antelope type 6 tags.

Plan B: Burn my 2 CO elk points on a muzzleloader hunt.

Plan C: burn either my 2 WY deer points or my Wy antelope points 4.

Backup: if all that falls through pickup a leftover/turn in tag for deer, elk, or antelope in CO.

Wild card: I apply for antelope, sheep, elk, and deer in NM never draw anything but I'll keep trying. Also my OK elk tag I'll draw it one day.

What else will I hunt.
With all my family and work responsibilities I can only get out west for about two weeks a hunting season right now. But there'll be plenty of hunting at home for deer, ducks, hogs, turkey, and more.

Family vacation.
We always go to my parents beach house for a week in mid July after the 4th. I get a charter boat one day to catch snapper and surf fish for redfish and speckled trout in the mornings.

Last edited:
BrentD

The draws are staggered by state. First is UT and AZ, then NM and NV, then CO. I will have AZ draw results before NM and NV. If I draw AZ...No NM and point in NV. Very low draw odds in most of the units I apply in. However, in the off chance I draw multiple tags, I have over 200 hours of use-or-loose vacation for each of the next two years. I will apply for points in CO and try for a leftover tag as a fail safe. I will also get a point in WY in September.

My strategy has resulted in...

NM unit 23 archery tag
Utah Mt Dutton Archery Tag
Wyoming unit 32 elk tag
AZ unit 9 early archery tag
Colorado unit 70 4th deer tag
CO unit 40 bear tag
AZ unit 12 BW deer tag (two different years)
AZ unit 12AE rifle deer tag.

And a handful of cow elk, turkey and javelina tags.

All but CO are long term...I should have a few more great elk hunts in the future.

The rest are simply hunts to fill my time while I wait for my next elk hunt.

Best of luck to everybody next year.

What will you be putting in for?
WY elk PP
WY archery cow elk

What else will you be hunting?
IA: spring and fall turkey, archery and gun WT, squirrel, waterfowl, pheasant, dove

Other outdoor trips?
Family vacation to yellowstone + elk scouting
IA bass, panfish, and channel cats

Wyoming only - I am not willing to pay nonresident rates to hunt other states when I can do just as good quality hunts in the state I live in.
Elk and Deer - general tags plus whatever type 6, 7 or 8 tags I can draw
Bear and mountain lion, over the counter tags for residents
Antelope - on a military base all archery, hope to draw another buck and 2 type 8 and maybe a leftover tag or two.
Maybe rabbit and pheasant.

- Montana General deer and elk for sure , I think , with 2 pref points for big game combo
- hopefully Montana special permit elk tag with about 8 points.
- nd bow and landowner rifle tag
- hopefully Wyoming decent deer tag
- hopefully Wyoming General elk

I'm only putting in for OIL tags out-of-state this year for myself. Will be putting my dad in for a tag that he should draw instead.

Points in Colorado:
Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bear

Points in Wyoming:
Elk, Deer, Antelope, Moose (maybe apply for moose)

New Hampshire:
Moose

Trying to decide if it's worth continuing in the points game in Utah
Points in Utah (maybe):
Elk, Deer, Antelope
Apply in Utah (maybe):
Sheep

I'll put in for the various lotteries for statewide tags as well for moose/sheep.

Points for Dad in Colorado:
Deer
Apply for Dad in Colorado:
Elk

Points for Dad in Wyoming:
Antelope

I'll be hunting archery and shotgun deer in Minnesota. I may hunt for turkeys in MN...it's usually a spur of the moment decision to go after them.

If things fall through on drawing my dad's CO elk tag, it will likely be OTC or Leftover in Idaho or CO for elk and potentially deer/bear depending on the chosen state.

Now that my "big hunt" for the year is over, I can't wait for 2020 application season!

Last edited:
Gotta burn some points soon but not sure of yet plans.

I'd like to burn my WY Antelope Points. There are 3 of us in party with 6 points each.
Got more than enough OR Antelope Points (10)
Too many OR deer points (14)
Not enough Elk for CO ( 14) Or Oregon Elk (15)

Then I have my OR LOP tags.

Not finished hunting yet this year.

I’m intentionally not thinking about it so I have something to do this winter...but probably just pp for everything in Co, Wy, and Az and use a few points for a Co 3rd season deer hunt. Plus hunt turkey, whitetail and sika deer around here.

But then again Alaska is calling and might want to fit that in before college bills start rolling in 😁

Swing for the fences in AZ, NM, NV, UT, and WY. Hunt elk, deer, and antelope here in MT. Hopefully cash in deer points in CO or antelope points in WY, and maybe help out on a dall sheep hunt in AK.

WY Elk PP
WY Pronghorn (maybe PP)
LA Alligator
KY Elk

LA Deer, Pigs, Squirrel, Coon, Duck
AR Deer, Bear, Squirrel and Coon (maybe)

Today is my first deer hunt of the season. So plenty of time to plan between now and the end of February. A lot of my 2020-2021 plan will depend on getting a cur dog at the end of the season. If all is timed well and there isn’t too much of a learning curve for us, we’ll train in the spring and summer hopefully we’ll be ready to hunt in the fall. I’ll be willing to give up a lot of my usual deer hunts and pig chasing to get us well started. That may include putting off going west another year. If he’s up for it I think it would be cool to hunt him in the Arkansas mountains.

My girlfriend’s dad will be putting a camper at a good marina so should be plenty of saltwater fishing as well.

CO elk, deer, antelope
WY elk, deer, antelope
IA deer

Maybe throw in some upland bird and waterfowl. A little fishing perhaps.

Apply for:
AZ, NM, UT, WY, MT, CO, TN, KY elk (all swing for fences)
Gemsbok Oryx in NM
Audad (barbary sheep in NM)
WY Pronghorn

Exotic hunts in TX: Nilgai, Axis buck, Gemsbok Oryx, Blackbuck doe, fallow and axis doe
OTC CO again I am sure, possibly OTC in MT

Local: Turkey, whitetail, black bear, squirrel, rainbow and brown trout in TN

work ,
eat,
sleep,
eat,
work,
eat,
sleep,
continue doing so till fall,
go out kill stuff,
when done ,
work,
eat,
sleep,
work ,
eat,
sleep.....……………...

Will be putting in for point saver in a lot of instances.

Below is where will actually try to draw a limited tag rather than merely build points:

Elk:
NM (Guided Draw)
OR (as a party of two)
UT
WY

Mule Deer:
NV (Guided Draw)
TX
UT
WA
WY

Coues Whitetail Deer:
AZ

Eastern Whitetail:
TX

Bighorn Sheep:
AZ
CO
ID
MT
NM
NV
OR
TX
UT
WA
WY

Moose:
CO
MT
UT
WA
WY

Goat:
CO
MT
OR
WA
WY

Bison:
MT
UT
WY

Last edited:
Elk:
MT (non-res big game combo, maybe archery if I stop being lazy and get a compund and start practicing)
OR (limited draw high desert units)

Deer:
MT (non-res big game combo)
OR (probably building points, buy maybe get lucky and draw a mulie tag)
ID (maybe, if the scheduling works out)

Bear
OR (spring if I get drawn and fall regardless)
MT (considering general season fall with my non-res combo)
ID (if I do the deer hunt)

And then of course I'll put in for Oregon;s once in a lifetime Goat/Sheep tags, probably in the hardest to hunt units because less people put in for 'em :)

Also might try and do a bit of scouting for a possible attempt at a 2021 MT Unlimited sheep tag, or tag along and play packmule for someone with a tag if anyone is willing to allow that.

Looking at my list, I have a lot of maybes... I suppose I probably ought to start getting this stuff hammered out!

- Montana General deer and elk for sure , I think , with 2 pref points for big game combo
- hopefully Montana special permit elk tag with about 8 points.
- nd bow and landowner rifle tag
- hopefully Wyoming decent deer tag
- hopefully Wyoming General elk
Have you been building pref points for Montana's non-res general big game combo? I was under the impression that most people ended up drawing for it since the demand was only slightly more than the opportunty. Is that not the case?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back