Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What are you currently reading?

Almost current with Greaney's Gray Man installments...honestly, they're entertaining enough, but I couldn't hardly describe one book from the previous after beginning the next.

I got a collection of Cory Ford writings for Christmas. The last story in the book is “The Road to Tinkhamtown”. An outstanding short read.

That story is in another anthology I've read. Excellent story

Almost current with Greaney's Gray Man installments...honestly, they're entertaining enough, but I couldn't hardly describe one book from the previous after beginning the next.
So true it is funny. Wife and I caught a bad case of Covid on vacation and being “stuck” in the Caribbean, there wasn’t much to do except switching between laying in the sun or laying in bed and reading (TV is awful in Carribean). I read 2.5 Gray Man books in a week. I’m not even sure what the names of the books were and my memory can’t differentiate the plots.

That being said, they are very entertaining.

Alone at Dawn. Story of Medal of Honor recipient John Chapman (posthumously). He was a Combat Controller (CCT) in Afghanistan. I had never heard of CCT. Amazing individuals !

This is the actual observer footage of the events for which Mr. Chapman was awarded TWO MOHs.

Last edited:
I got this from the library and finished it in three days. It’s a very engaging biography of Frederick Russell Burnham, who help develop the concept of organized military scouting, first in the American Southwest and then in Africa around the time of the Boer War.
IMG_0633.jpeg

1704229936946.png
Quick read, obviously not a literary great, and really not all that informative, but I'll probably read it again. The author, actually has some pretty good little tidbits that I appreciated, for both hunting and life. My take away is that my failures with regard to deer hunting can be mostly attributed to:
1. Trying to hunt deer where I want them to be and not where they are
2. Thinking you can earn a buck through physical effort, if you just hike harder and further than others.
3. Placing too much value on mediocre locations that might hold a buck and not enough time focusing strictly on the best locations.

Perusing this list, couldn't help thinking you guys aren't helping me. Cured myself of being a bookworm once so this list is pushing me in the wrong direction! Not good!

Books I read in December, had a wide variety of interests last month:

The Civil War by Geoffrey Ward - Great comprehensive read of the war, hard to put down, fascinating illustrations
Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon - Author drove 13k miles around the U.S. visiting remote towns and talking to the people there, I enjoyed it and can see myself doing something like that
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - A couple of twists that I wasn't expecting, nice reading the original story
Vision of the Anointed by Thomas Sowell - Brilliant author, brings clarity to the war of ideas
Economic Facts and Fallacies by Thomas Sowell - Addresses common misconceptions and biases about economics that are parrotted in the media, great read
Free to Choose by Milton Friedman - Great book on economic issues and free markets, read this relatively short book to prepare myself to tackle heavier books on economics
Mountain Sheep and Man in the Northern Wilds by Valerius Geist - I didn't enjoy it that much honestly, thought it was a lot of rambling on stories related to sheep and humans without a clear focus.
What's So Great About America by Dinesh D'Souza - Love how grateful the author is to live here and how he compares it to other countries with limited opportunity

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back