What are you currently reading?

Just finished reading 3 books on turkey hunting. Incidentally, they were the only 3 books that the local library had on turkey hunting, but pulled a few pretty good nuggets out of each one.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.22.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.22.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.21.36 AM.png

Beginning with the end in mind; I just read Buck, Buck, Moose by Hank Shaw.

I should preference this by stating that my wife is a chief and she's a bit elitist when it comes to proper cooking technique. I've purchased a lot of wild game cookbooks and most of them are just kind of okay. Most are home cooks and that's good, but they miss the methods of how and why something is done.

Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose illustrates proper cooking techniques, modified dishes that have been adapted to use a more lean meat source, really old dishes using a verity of cuts including organ meat, regional cooking differences for verity and has a bit of old soul flare.

I would recommend this book for any hunter, hunt camp and will be purchasing his other works.

I recently finished Deer of the Southwest by Jim Heffelfinger.

I found it to be very well done and could be used as a really good read (for anyone interested in the subject), as well as very good reference material that you could go back to time and time again. Typically, books such as this would be considered a bit dry but, I think that Mr. Heffelfinger has made natural history, biology and game management of SW deer entertaining, and I could not put the book down.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in game management anywhere in North America at all, and especially natural history, game management and the habitat needs in the South West.

Beginning with the end in mind; I just read Buck, Buck, Moose by Hank Shaw.

I should preference this by stating that my wife is a chief and she's a bit elitist when it comes to proper cooking technique. I've purchased a lot of wild game cookbooks and most of them are just kind of okay. Most are home cooks and that's good, but they miss the methods of how and why something is done.

Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose illustrates proper cooking techniques, modified dishes that have been adapted to use a more lean meat source, really old dishes using a verity of cuts including organ meat, regional cooking differences for verity and has a bit of old soul flare.

I would recommend this book for any hunter, hunt camp and will be purchasing his other works.

Hank Shaw and his books are great! Get in on the preorder going for his newest book: Hook, Line, and Supper. Also, in case you didn’t know, his website is great as well. He updates the book recipes occasionally so it’s worth checking out.

This book was chiefly written as a Warning to a concern that one could argue and never came to fruition in the magnitude those who worried about it thought it would.

I’m only halfway through, but like all of Toole’s books, it makes me think and feel things.
20B1983B-DF13-47B9-AFC9-ABB3954FC103.jpeg

3/4 way through ‘Cougar Conundrum’. New release recommended by The Wildlife Society.

Easy read, some interesting points. From the perspective of an advocate. Does talk fondly of hound hunters, whom the author believes can be a big advocate for the species.

Just finished the audiobook version of Wild Ones by Jon Mooallem. Heard about this book on a Meateater podcast. Highly recommend. Great insight on the people and the history behind the Endangered Species Act. As someone who is working in the field on an endangered species project, I found it extremely relatable, somewhat disheartening, and quite informative. Definitely pick this one up if you all have a chance!

0143125370.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Just started reading this. I’ve enjoyed all of Michael Lewis’ books, and this one seems like another that will go really deep on some threads of a topic that we mostly understand only on a more superficial level.

1620184940831.png

Currently about half way through The Feather Thief by Kirk wallace Johnson. Always new a little about the feather trade with regards to women’s hats back in the day and how it led to the migratory bird act, Lacey act and other laws regarding sale and trade of animal parts but this book puts the history in great detail. Recommend for sure.

I’m most of the way through Radical Candor. Would be interesting to see how drastically our jobs could change if this philosophy could be adopted

I just finished A beast of the Color of Winter by Douglas Chadwick. This is a fantastic book if your interested in The Mountain Goat at all. It's a easy quick read with tons of information about Mountain Goats and where they live.

The first chapter was narrated in storyboard form telling the adventures of a newborn goat.. For me, this was the most difficult chapter to get through but I can see that it would be the favorite chapter for others. All the chapters after that just kept getting better. It was well written easy to understand and superbly informational. Did you know that you can tell the age bracket of the goat by the number of times they chew there cud per second? This could be very useful to get a general age of Mountain Goats from a distance when you can't see the horn rings through your glass.

For added motivation:

1621352674770.png

Last edited:
During my sabbatical:
Legends of the Fall, Jim Harrison
Brown Dog, Jim Harrison
In search of Small Gods, Jim Harrison
Geology of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
Beyond the Hundredth Meridian, Wallace Stegner
Where the Red Fern Grows (to my kids)

Brown Dog is good. Legends of the Fall is very good. But note that LOF is a compilation of three short stories, the last of which is actually LOF. The others are very good as well, but he saves the best for last.

Just started Mink River by Brian Doyle

Edit: also Snow Leopard by Peter Mattheissen, not recommended.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back