What are you currently reading?

rereading Mouthful of feathers for, I think, the fourth time. I really love the compilation of writers. Best Upland related read I've ever "picked up" (though it's only available on kindle).

Alpha One Sixteen. An Infantryman's year in Viet Nam, by Peter Clark

My latest - "Gunsmithing Modern Firearms" by Bryce Towsley. "A gun guy's guide to making good guns even better." (found at brycetowsley.com)

Bryce is my favorite writer in American Hunter magazine. He authored the Number 1 selling hunting books about the Benoit family from Vermont. I even met him once! Whether you're looking to do advanced cleaning, cutting off a barrel, bulding your own rifle (bolt or AR), etc, then you'll love this book. I've even gotten ideas for new "must have" gun stuff - Lyman Bore Scope that won't break your wallet. If you're a gun guy, then I think you'll really enjoy this read, plus his humor has had me laughing a lot of times....
My parents got me his other book on gunsmithing a few years back for Christmas. It still is a favorite and is close by on my shelf at all times. EBC6209C-6A64-4C50-A021-C8911C6B6381.jpegEBC6209C-6A64-4C50-A021-C8911C6B6381.jpeg

Hey. Now I am reading Terry Igleton's book, The Ideology of Aesthetics. It was written in 1990. Eagleton is one of the leading contemporary literary critics, and, which is especially valuable to us, he is a theorist who clearly states his Marxist position. This is the first time I am reading his book, and I can say that it is very worthy. I found it in my Chelly app when I looked at ready-made reading recommendations from expert opinions.

Last edited:
Recently finished "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah. Really great descriptions of Alaska, and a very good (if sad) story.

some Clive Cussler book . his books are like loui lamours but take place on the ocean in modern times instead of the west

I finished all the originals about 10 years ago, the new ghost written ones are fine beach reads, I like the Oregon files, but they lack the je ne sais quoi of the originals... I think Valhalla Rising is my favorite.
If you like Clive Cussler you should give Wilbur Smith a try.

One Man's Wilderness I believe is the title is a good book as well if you are into roughing it in the backwoods of Alaska.

“Game of the Desert” by Jack O’Conner at the moment. I’ve always liked his writing, and this seemed a good fit for a new (2 years) AZ transplant. It’s wild to think that when he’s writing about mule deer hunting in the “the ‘70s” he’s referring to the 1870s. There’s always a L’Amour book on deck though, I re-read “Last of the Breed” every year and it’s about that time. I haven’t been reading too much lately, at least compared to my other half, who took 3 new books with her camping this weekend and was done with them by Sunday afternoon, but I enjoy the older stuff. I’ll go online and read some of David Petzals writing because I like his humor, but I don’t know if there are any contemporary writers that can match the old breed

Lee Child's Blue Moon....a Jack Reacher series.

*Postscript...almost finished, it's terrible

Last edited:
Currently been working on "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman" by Theodore Roosevelt. It's a bit of a tough read because there's almost no storyline to the book. It's just semi random facts and stories about animals and hunts as if someone was bsing around a campfire. It's interesting though that some of the things he brings up still rings true today like the ethics of long range hunting for example.
the french have a saying,,the more things change the more they stay the same,,

One Man's Wilderness I believe is the title is a good book as well if you are into roughing it in the backwoods of Alaska.
If you enjoyed that you might pick up “where the sea breaks it’s back” it’s about the early Russian exploration of Alaska. Great reading!

Back