WFGinKodiak III

WFGinNM

We take a trip back to the boat to unload Joe's 2nd buck and a quick check from the area Trooper that landed his plane on the beach since it was low tide.

Trooper.jpg

Back to the Island to look for another buck for me. We head up above the snowline to glass down into the alders for bedded deer. After sidehilling and glassing for about a mile I look down and see a spike watching me at about 40yards. Off to his left another deer is sneaking away through the alders. I saw his spread and decided he'd do just fine. Once he cleared the alders, my 2nd buck was down.

4x4.jpg

4x42.jpg

The next morning my friend Michael and I went up a valley from Sulua Bay and watched a decent buck work towards us looking for does and trashing alders with his antlers. Didn't take him long to get close enough to win a trip the the boat. Here is Michael's 2nd buck.

MikeandMe.jpg

Next is a pic of my 2 buck's antlers.

MyBucks.jpg

All 9 bucks we took that hunt...

TripBucks.jpg

The next day we worked on getting the deer cut and wrapped for the flight home. Weather in Kodiak was windy so we stayed an extra day on the boat, and Tim from Alaska Coastal Marine had a float plane come in to take us to Old Harbor, where we met a larger plane to fly us back to Kodiak.

FloatPlane.jpg

Old Harbor

OldHarbor.jpg

Flight from Old Harbor to Kodiak was pretty low.

OldHarbortoKodiak.jpg

And the Kodiak Airport.

KodiakAirport.jpg

This trip was really great and we really lucked out with the weather, I only had to wear my rain gear fishing to keep the wind off me.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

--Bill

Nice story and pics WFGinNM. The weather grounded us for a couple days also. Our transporter never took us to any fish and we never had crab legs for dinner. I was pretty bummed about that.

Sweet!!!! you guys got into some really good quality. And a pile of bears. When we were flying out a guy that was getting on our boat lives 15 miles from me here in MT. I just got off the phone with his dad who told me they killed a bear at 6 feet. Not 60 but 6. Troppers came and inpsected and cleared him of any wrong doing. I Am waiting to hear from him to get the story first hand.

I don't know about you but it was the most fun I have had on a hunting trip.
Congrats!!!

IB,
Crabbing wasn't an option with our transporter which we knew going into the hunt, and the fishing we did was where ever we happened to be anchored and they did provide the tackle.

Hntnhrd,
ACM was a great company to deal with, can't say enough about them. Our good weather really had a lot to do with our success I believe. I'm almost afraid to go back and find out how it can be with poor weather.
I will admit the whole big bear deal made me nervous, I think I saw so many bear because I was actually looking for them.

--Bill

Congrats again, Those are some great bucks you guys took. That first one you shot is about as nice as they come. I know you had planned that hunt for a while and I'm really glad it worked out dang near perfectly for you (weather and animal wise).

TB

Hey, you got this thing fingered out. Ya did good with the pics and the write up. Thanks for sharing WFG!

Erik,
I'll be mounting that buck as soon as I get the cape back from Alpha Fur and find a decent mannikin. He green scored at 101 2/8.

--Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back