Weyerhaeuser to Sell Montana Lands

TreeDog

I know this isn't technically a public land issue, but it is an access issue. Weyerhaeuser has maintained an open lands policy in Montana, making hundreds of thousands of acres accessible to the public for hunting, fishing, and recreation. The news release says that 110,000 acres is under a conservation easement and will remain open. Access to the remaining 520,000 acres will be up to the new landowner. I guess we'll have to wait and see....

http://investor.weyerhaeuser.com/2019-12-17-Weyerhaeuser-to-sell-Montana-timberlands

Yes... A bummer.
However, considering they sold off a heck of a lot to the Trust for Public Land at a fair value, honoring Plum Creek's intent and keeping Plum Creek's agreement to keep the land open to enjoy for free... beats the heck outta Weyerhaueser leased land for hunting in other States.

Probably being sold to Stimson who have been putting CEs and keeping public access on the lands they have recently bought from Weyerhaeuser. $230 an acre if the numbers are right. Wow, that's cheap.

Weyerhaeuser doesn't charge you MT guys? They rake us WA guys over the coals to access their lands. Though in eastern WA they own so few that no one actually pays. $200-300 for motorized access, $75 for non-motorized. https://recreation.weyerhaeuser.com/Permits

Weyerhaeuser wasn't in MT until a few years ago, when they bought out Plum Creek. Plum Creek always allowed free access, and Weyerhaeuser honored that when they bought the land.

Weyerhaeuser doesn't charge you MT guys? They rake us WA guys over the coals to access their lands. Though in eastern WA they own so few that no one actually pays. $200-300 for motorized access, $75 for non-motorized. https://recreation.weyerhaeuser.com/Permits

Same down here in Oregon. I haven't looked into it but I had heard most of their property was open access before Weyerhauser purchased it and closed it. Weyerhauser has a bit of a boogey man thing going for it in Southern Oregon.

Interesting to learn it didn't happen that way in Montana.

Probably being sold to Stimson who have been putting CEs and keeping public access on the lands they have recently bought from Weyerhaeuser. $230 an acre if the numbers are right. Wow, that's cheap.
Stimson has been buying lots of land around me in Idaho. So far so good, I wish people would honor the no atv signs they have on their gates but riding atvs everywhere is basically culture here

I'm in the Valley and purchased a non-motorized access pass from Weyerhauser. I was also shocked that they didn't charge in MT.

I think the easement they mention is the Thompson River agreement with FWP. Very odd that the news release did not mention the buyer.

So now I'm intrigued that the folks at the check station on 2 asked me if I shot my deer on Weyerhaeuser property. I've never been asked that before.

I hope my nervousness is misguided, but it sure would've been nice if Weyerhaeuser did announce the buyer.

This is what worries me. Especially when I hear private investment company. I work/worked in timber and land management for my career. I've seen this happen many times in the east. Timber company let's people recreate for free or nominal fee, sells the land, then the next owner realizes the potential income from hunting leases. Posted signs follow shortly after.

The fact that they haven't announced the buyer makes me think it's not good.

My beer money is on Stimson.

Stimson would be my thoughts as well...

Weyerhaeuser (NYSE:WY) agrees to sell 630,000 acres of timberland in Montana to a private timberland investment company

Stimson is not a Publicly traded company... Smokin deal! That is certain! Had it been to a publicly traded Co., it would have been mutually announced. Would be a quality choice or... tin foil could craft a nice hard hat... :)

When Plum Creek sold to Weyerhaeuser, they announced jointly. A decade or two before that, Plum Creek started carving off the most prime acreage for development. There is still a lot of developable land in the portfolio, but not as much and not as prime. My guess is some investment company bought it, will high grade the land with access, water and view, and dump the rest to companies like Stimson. Over the last 30 years I'm sure I have lost dozens of good hunting spots to this pattern. It's hard to watch. This is exactly why LWCF is so freaking critical. It gives the common outdoor family a fighting chance of keeping some access, and keeping timber lands in production. Also it shows why conservation easements are so critical. At least we have access to the Thompson River.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back