Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Well happy friggin election Oregon... :(

I grew up a few miles from Arkansas so you may not mean what you think you mean. Do you often hear banjo music when out and about? Do you hear things like, "I said you is a marryin' my daughter today but not because you peed in the snow next to my barn but because I knows my daughter's handwritin'?" Or, "You can't marry her son because you says she is a virgin and, well, if she ain't good enough for her family then she ain't good enough for ours neither." Or, "Doc, I need you to hand me back that money I paid you for a vasectomy because all it did was change the color of my babies." Did your high school win the conference swim championship 11 years in a row when there was a bunch of swimmers with 6 webbed toes to power through the water? When Idaho grants a divorce are you still cousins?
You’ve obviously been up Pine Creek…

Are you kidding? (Facetious), holy chit!

One that has me thinking of this Massachusetts law:

Section 12: Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons
"...provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used."

Is this right? You can not purchase a sling shot at a sporting goods store, etc?
I had to have Amazon mail mine to a buddy in VT… apparently Denis the menace was actually from Mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I should just find out myself, so feel free to hit me with a “let me Google that for you” link - but is the new OR law as stringent on private party sales as well?

Yes. We already had background checks for private party transfers. This adds the permit requirement to all firearms purchases, other than the private party exceptions I copy/ pasted in post 59.

This is my current interpretation. You need to get a license to purchase, and acquiring that license goes through the county (?) police, and requires a gun safety course which includes live fire, unloading, and safe storage requirements. At this point it isn't even clear that the concealed weapons classes will satisfy the safety course. The rules for what satisfies the course and which do not are not defined as of yet.
Thank You @Cornell2012 .
I have a son in Benton County who is a veteran. Do you know if prior military service qualifies?

(c) A firearms training course or class required for issuance of a permit-to-purchase must include:

. (A) Review of federal and state laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to ownership, purchase, transfer, use and transportation of firearms;

. (B) Review of federal and state safe storage laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to safe storage, including reporting lost and stolen guns; PAGE - 4 New sections are in boldfaced type. Matter in amended sections in boldfaced type is new; matter [struck through and bracketed] is intended to be omitted.

. (C) Prevention of abuse or misuse of firearms, including the impact of homicide and suicide on families, communities and the country as a whole; and

. (D) In-person demonstration of the applicant’s ability to lock, load, unload, fire and store a firearm before an instructor certified by a law enforcement agency. This requirement may be met separately from the other course requirements in sub paragraphs (A), (B) and (C) of paragraph (c), which may be completed in an on-line course, provided the on-line course has been conducted by a trainer certified by law enforcement.

The OSSA CCL class will satisfy A-C, there is no substitute for (D).

Last edited:
Thank You @Cornell2012 .
I have a son in Benton County who is a veteran. Do you know if prior military service qualifies?
As @David58 said, there do not seem to be exceptions for veterans. Any weapons he owns prior to the effective date (that don't run afoul of the magazine capacity law) are not impacted. That's why there's such a rush in OR to buy things ASAP. I'm taking a hard look at anything that I realistically want in the next decade or so.

Your son will need a certified course and permit for any gun purchased after the effective date (currently 1/15/22 to my understanding).

Your son will need a certified course and permit for any gun purchased after the effective date (currently 1/15/22 to my understanding).

Though some big box stores are interpreting it to mean December 8th. So if there's something you really want within the next year it may be prudent to grab it now.

I'm not going to purchase anything right now. I intend on being one of the first through the new system though.

Adding Oregon to another state I will never visit as I do not own a firearm that meets their laws. Sorry Oregonians, I will spend my money elsewhere. I just feel bad for all the outdoor industries that call Oregon home. Imagine all the paperwork and inspections they will be forced to go through just to have "high capacity magazines" on their premises for purchases in other states that still allow Americans to be free.

Adding Oregon to another state I will never visit as I do not own a firearm that meets their laws. Sorry Oregonians, I will spend my money elsewhere. I just feel bad for all the outdoor industries that call Oregon home. Imagine all the paperwork and inspections they will be forced to go through just to have "high capacity magazines" on their premises for purchases in other states that still allow Americans to be free.
But meth is legal in OR so come for the party. Lots of good camping spots in the Portland and Salem areas so stay awhile.

Let's get this straight - do all the mind altering drugs you want, take a dump on the sidewalks, steal sh*t from everyone, but if you want a weapon you go on a gov't list for future extermination confiscation.
I'm voting for shall not infringe. I'll take less safety and more freedom for $500 Alex.

This is my current interpretation. You need to get a license to purchase, and acquiring that license goes through the county (?) police, and requires a gun safety course which includes live fire, unloading, and safe storage requirements. At this point it isn't even clear that the concealed weapons classes will satisfy the safety course. The rules for what satisfies the course and which do not are not defined as of yet.
Montana is looking better and better isn’t it.

Not only that but what does a new gun owner do? How do they take the class to get a permit when they don't have a gun yet to take the class? Chicken or egg kind of thing. Someone on another forum mentioned that they could borrow one or the police department may loan one. So, if that is the case they will get their "training" on safe handling with a gun that may not operate remotely the same as the one they want to buy....so stupid.

Question, can a guy simply drive across State lines to Idaho and purchase a full mag. firearm there and then bring it back to Oregon? Or does the new law prohibit the owning of higher capacity magazines period?

Back