Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Weiser River Idaho hunt

Firehunter

Hi Guys,
I have hunted Colorado a few times but wanted to venture to another state for elk. I picked up a tag for the Weiser River unit. I was wondering if anyone had some advise for the unit ( no honey holes ). The Fish and Game stats look good but I see roads everywhere. I can private message if that helps. Thanks!!

You are right there are roads everywhere, also lots of people on those roads. I quit hunting there 2 years ago. The ID F&G, changed a few things last year with that unit. It is an over objective unit for elk, also its historically the better Mule Deer habitat in Idaho. All the F&G want too do is kill off most of the elk in that unit, They also give out in the draw a ton of cow tags. Specifically 22 - 600 in Nov. and Dec. Also another 200 for Jan.-Feb. 28, yes the elk cow season just closed yesterday. Don't mention that before last year they were giving out unlimited A and B tags and another 1700 controlled hunt cow tags. I'm not really happy with there management of that unit what so ever. I used too like hunting there. Did well there, filled 4 tags in 4 years with my bow, wife went 2 for 4 I believe. My daughter had the A tag this past season, only saw elk on the first day of the youth season, 1 bull, 2 cows and 2 calves. Spent 9 other days hunting and never seen another elk and I know this unit pretty well. All I gotta say is after the 2016-17 hard winter and now were getting pounded with snow this week, good luck. I would check on switching units, this is my opinion. I made the switch 2 years ago and I wish I would have done it a year earlier.
Matt

Thanks Matt I really appreciate the info. I spoke with fish and game about switching units and they said it should not be a problem. That's sad to hear about the management of the unit. In your experience what other units should I look into? For me it's about the hunting experience filling a tag is great but hearing elk bugle and seeing them is what it's about. Todd

Last edited:
I was specifically talking about mostly unit 22 in the Weiser zone. 32A is alot of private and 32 you can get into some elk there. Have had friends kill bulls in there. Bulls do bugle in 22, all 3 of the bulls i've killed in there I called into less than 8 yards. It might be good as last year I heard that there was not many archery hunters in 22 because all the rifle cow hunters bought the A tag. Which you need too archery hunt. 31 is a good unit right next door, lots of hunters, but alot less roads and its STEEP/DEEP/HOT! country. You will see elk in 100 degree weather out on a bare hillside, big bulls and lots of cows. Good Luck!
Matt

I was looking at this unit as well for this fall. I have to wait until September/early October to get my tags (obtain residency) so I have a feeling the quota might make a tag unavailable.

I hunted that zone a few years back. Lots of roads, and lots of road hunters. It is a steep zone, has elk. Are you archery or rifle? I hunted that zone for deer with a rifle and had plenty of company. Lots of horse guys in hells canyon, so expect that as well.

I'm hunting archery and don't mind hiking to get away. With all the activity described on 22 I can't help but think if I were an Elk I would pick up and move. I was thinking if I had to look elsewhere the McCall unit looks a little more favorable. Thanks for the help by the way.

A lot higher elk population in the Weiser River zone than McCall. Farther from roads doesn't mean more elk with the predator issue, among other things. I'd be pretty interested in switching to Weiser if I archery hunted.

I'm hunting archery and don't mind hiking to get away. With all the activity described on 22 I can't help but think if I were an Elk I would pick up and move. I was thinking if I had to look elsewhere the McCall unit looks a little more favorable. Thanks for the help by the way.

If you look at my "Live Hunt" from last year, that hunt was in the McCall zone. Hunted hard and not alot of elk, More elk in 22, but less people persay in area's in the McCall zone. But some area's have more. If you look some area's have alot of roads there also.
Matt

A lot higher elk population in the Weiser River zone than McCall. Farther from roads doesn't mean more elk with the predator issue, among other things. I'd be pretty interested in switching to Weiser if I archery hunted.

^this, in a couple years I think it will be a great unit with bigger bulls since most of the bulls were killed during the unlimited "A tag" archery season. Now that there is sort of a quota and most of those tags will be used for the rifle cow hunt. The archery should actually get better in a few years. That's only if they don't kill the Majority of the cow elk. But that won't change until they stop doing there counts in the middle of the winter there. For some reason they think all those elk stay in 22, which is laughable, since they migrate from 2-4-5 units away.....
Matt

I agree with everything you said about the migration and the counts it's tough to believe the numbers on the fish and game website. I picked up the A tag hopefully the Elk will be around. I appreciate all the advise, I thought if I had time to switch and got some good advice I would look into another unit somewhere.

Thanks.

I am looking at the B tag and mainly to fill the freezer. Can't eat antlers. My google scouting has been concentrating on eastern 32/32A.

Tons of elk in the Weiser Zone, all 3 units. A ton of people though too, but still a good meat hunt. Age class is poor, as expected.

Hopefully I can get away a little. Are there a lot of people for the Archery season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back