Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Weird highway warning signs

BFB1962E-DCBB-4572-9094-93AE8C2AEAFC.jpeg4D881EEB-64D1-4003-95AF-C5041E6F750C.jpeg
F5CE041B-8156-4C73-AA50-68E891609A2B.jpegC9F1E3C9-A464-4D1E-B66B-02BAC36090A9.jpeg

Several of these were taken when I was out jogging. The no stopping for inmates was like mile 8 into a 12 mile run that was going to end up being a 16 mile run unless I kept running straight. I kept running straight and waved as I ran by the inmates.

The sign at the church might be a little hard to read, it says "Valley Bible Fellowship, Loving the Hell out of People". Thought that was funny.

I'm not exactly sure what Earth Fissures are. Googling it seems like just cracks in the road. It was also on a sketchy area outside of a small town I was working at and I could hear the banjo music playing as I jogged by.

Taxicab sign isn't a highway sign but thought it was evidently there based on past experience. When I searched for "sign" on my phone it showed up so I thought I would include it.

Last edited:
Critter crossing signs reminded me of this gem.

I remember one hunting season when the local news ran a piece that had the Pennsylvania game commission telling people those road signs were a valuable scouting tool and that setting up near the signs in rifle season could lead to a deer harvest.
We already have enough road hunters and all they were doing was teaching them better places to drive.

Why is the warning sign only on one end of the road it seems like? I guess if I would have know maybe I wouldn't have driven there. With enough effort you can always make it through no matter how narrow or rough it gets. Roads looked perfectly fine to me
20200717_085042.jpg20190625_153126.jpg

Why is the warning sign only on one end of the road it seems like? I guess if I would have know maybe I wouldn't have driven there. With enough effort you can always make it through no matter how narrow or rough it gets. Roads looked perfectly fine to me
View attachment 230812View attachment 230813
Last fall we were exploring new country hunting elk SW of Dillon and came upon a similar USFS sign. I peered into the abyss below. "Well, Mike, I think we're okay. I see a ranch house or something way off south and I reckon the hwy isn't much further." Inched the Jimmy down that 100% grade in low transfer case and across a nasty creek ford at the bottom only to be confronted with a locked gate. Shit! I mean, we are way out in the middle of nowhere and my brother is diabetic. He's not walking out of here! Some snow was on the ground and no chains in the outfit. If I didn't make it on the first attempt there was almost no chance of backing down without losing control and flipping over ... multiple times! I think because the Jimmy was lightweight and low centered is the only reason I made it back up the grade. At the top I stopped to clean my pants and glass the hills. Then I noticed a separate "No Through Road" sign on a post some asshole had purposely run over and knocked down.

I had a Cessna 180 land in front of me in the Talkeetna highway. Engine failure. Airplanes have the right of way in Ak.
I have eyed many nice straight sections of highway from the air. Thankfully it hasn't been necessary.

Back