Caribou Gear Tarp

Weekend of dead birds (pics)

mtmiller

Well, I haven't chased birds in a couple weeks and Axl was not happy about it, so I hit the road Thursday afternoon for a long weekend. Friday morning sucked. I have a feeling someone has been using my secret spot. Flushed birds out in the dark and they never came back. I did shoot one mallard drake, but pretty slow morning.

In the afternoon I decided I had better try to get a swan on the ground (or water, as the case may be). I threw out a couple decoys and took a little nap on the shore. Suddenly I am awakened by some noisy swans that have already entered the kill zone. I wanted to shoot one locked up, but sleep screwed that one up. I snapped a couple photos before deciding I might at well shoot one of these guys.

Two juveniles on the right side of the picture.
P1140864.JPG

It was a good swan, but I have killed one bigger, so I will wait at least one more year for a mountable swan.
P1140931.JPG

This guy sailed quite a ways, so I did the retrieving with the boat. Not sure if Ax was happy or not with that decision. :D
P1140833.JPG

Saturday was a better duck day as I went to a new location. I picked up two readheads right away (limit is two) and so I was then waiting for a canvasback to make it a great "diver" day. I did take a few mallards while I was waiting though. ;)
P1150055.JPG

I finally gave up on the cans and shot this green-wing drake from a group of about a dozen birds. Picking out drakes in a teal flight is not easy for me, so I was pretty happy with this sixth duck.
P1150089.JPG

Thankfully I was back in the good graces on Axl.
P1150127.JPG

Saturday night was a little rough, so I slept through a lot of birds this morning. Flights were pretty poor and I only picked up 4 ducks, but they were all drakes and I passed on a few hens. Guess you can't fill everyday. :D
P1150230.JPG

Now that Ax is happy, I think next weekend will be doe hunt time. :D

Good looking birdies and great pictures! How do you prepare swan? (jerky?)

Oak

How do you prepare swan? (jerky?)
I will decide tonight during the grinding. If I have most of my spices, they all will go for jerky. If not, through the grinder and off to a guy that makes sausage for me.

Great story and even better pics. Sounds to me like you dog kicks ass!! I wish my dog was that smart!! :)

SCOTT

Great pics, congrats on the swan... I'd like to hunt them again sometime!

Looks like you need to get Axl on the Jenny Craig diet... or at least tuck in is second chin. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back