Weatherby Vanguard VGL in 7mm Rem Mag

Nambaster

Today I was browsing the local classifieds when a Weatherby Vanguard VGL in 7mm Rem Mag caught my eye. It had a Leupold scope in the image and also was listed for $350. I jumped on the horn with the seller and he mentioned paint was coming off the stock and I managed to talk him down to $300.00 after 5 hours of driving total. I brought home the rifle. The scope on the rifle is a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm.

Now the rifle with scope only weighs 8 lbs. The weird thing is that the Vanguard VGL’s are barreled for 20”. My question is what in tarnation do I do with a 20” 7mm Rem Mag? That thing is going to kick like a mule. It also is going to spit un burned powder. The muzzle blast and flames coming out of the rifle are going to be quite the spectacle. Has anyone shot one of these things? I have a 7mm-08 and I wonder if the 20 inches is going to be on par with performance of my 7mm-08. Anyone have an opinion on these rifles? Did I get a good deal?

Looks to me like you bought your self a free rifle..........the scope could sell for 3 bills itself.

An enterprising marksman might be able to make nearly any rifle become a utilitarian contributor to society. I hope it happens for you.

You could always rebarrel it. In the end, you'd still only be out about a fair price for that rifle and scope. Otherwise, take up reloading (if you haven't already). Play around with light loads and fast burning powder to reduce the muzzle blast. You won't be shooting much more than a .280, but what's wrong with that!?

It'll outpace your 7-08 by a lot. Like the poster said above, it's nearly a free rifle. I'd shoot it as is for a while, but if it does blow your skirt up use the action as a donor for a semi-custom.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back