MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Weatherby SA-08???

wolfpup

I am wanting a new shotgun. I have been shooting a Remington 870 for the past 20 years and think I want a semi-auto. Anybody have one and love it or had one and hated it? Seems to be a good price / value.

I don't have experience with that specific one but have heard good things. I have a gas operated semi auto that is about the same price range, one thing gas guns are known for is not liking to be ran dirty. Mine starts to hang up after running 4 boxes of shells through it.

Semi autos are fun when dove hunting!

Mine has been reliable and soft shooting. That said, unlike my browning silver and gold hunters you have to change the friction ring when you move between target loads and heavy waterfowl loads.

We have this and the Mossberg Sa-20. Both are Turkish imports of very similar if not identical design. The weatherby was finicky about cycling some shells while the mossberg worked flawlessly at a cheaper price point. Easy win for the mossberg.

If looking for a value gas 12ga I would go Mossberg 930. If value 20ga I would go Mossberg sa-20. If $899 is in your budget I would definitely go Benneli Montefeltro - the best semi auto for under $1000 in my opinion.

Last edited:
I bought a youth 20 gauge sa-08 for my kid this summer. We've put 4-5 boxes through it without issue. FFL I got it through had good things to say about them with his kids. Not sure we'll keep it long term when he outgrows it, as I'm partial to my benellis, but for now its been great.

X2 on the Benelli Montefeltro! I'll also add Winchester SX3/4s, great guns.

Any chance you can hold any of them? Fit is everything!

I have two of the SA-08 20ga youth models. I shoot one and my son shoots the other. The shorter stock seems to fit me well and they are nice to carry all day. The only issue is they won’t cycle the cheap value pack trap/dove loads. The 1200fps loads won’t eject, bump it up to 1275fps and they cycle flawlessly. I’m buying a third for my younger son, if I can ever find one.

Thanks fellas. I missed dove season to take care of my ML Elk season so poor me... I am mostly looking at sale price stuff and will probably pull the trigger Black Friday / cyber Monday just to get $100 off or something. The 870 still going strong but just want another. The Winchester Boomer mentioned is on my radar and will go see what's available soon so maybe I can squeeze in a December pheasant hunt.

I bought a Weatherby SA-08 20ga. 4 or 5 years ago. The gun cycles trap/skeet loads and heavier pheasant loads with no issue. It's amazing how dirty they get but that goes for all gas guns.

I am wanting a new shotgun. I have been shooting a Remington 870 for the past 20 years and think I want a semi-auto. Anybody have one and love it or had one and hated it?
I got one 5-6 years ago - my first semi-auto - and love it. It's light, it shoots straight, it's well built and the price is extremely good. I didn't shoulder the Mossberg when I was looking but I have heard several endorsements similar to @VikingsGuy.

As long as I've remembered to swap the piston out from 'Heavy' to 'Light', I haven't had any issues cycling trap/skeet loads. The only cycling issue I can recall was in below zero temps (and I think I hadn't cleaned it well enough).

I got one 5-6 years ago - my first semi-auto - and love it. It's light, it shoots straight, it's well built and the price is extremely good. I didn't shoulder the Mossberg when I was looking but I have heard several endorsements similar to @VikingsGuy.

As long as I've remembered to swap the piston out from 'Heavy' to 'Light', I haven't had any issues cycling trap/skeet loads. The only cycling issue I can recall was in below zero temps (and I think I hadn't cleaned it well enough).
Even swapping pistons it was finicky, while the mossberg has no pistons changes required and shoots the whole range. But given the less consistent QC of these value rifles, it may just be the ones I happen to own.

Even swapping pistons it was finicky, while the mossberg has no pistons changes required and shoots the whole range. But given the less consistent QC of these value rifles, it may just be the ones I happen to own.
Yeah - the swapping is definitely an extra step (and extra steps bother the Industrial Engineer part of me deeply) - but it only takes a few seconds. In any event - for $500-550 it's a champ of a shotgun and I never feel bad beating it up in the grouse hills. I will have to look @ the Mossberg before I get a 20 for my son.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back