Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Weatherby Factory Ammo

IndyJay

Anybody have experience with the accuracy of Weatherby's claims when it comes to velocity? I'm trying to chart the path of the 165gr. Hornaday Spire Point in .300 Weatherby Mag... the charts say it leaves the muzzle at 3390fps... any practical experience would be helpful...

Thanks,

Jay, My experience says that the claims that Weatherby makes on their ammo is pretty accurate if not a bit conservative for their factory ammo in Weatherby rifles with factory chambers. With several of the Weatherby calibers, 7mm, 257, 340,and 300, I have achieved higher velocities and better accuracy that advertised, when I stuck strictly to the prescribed powders and components. Specifically, IMR 7828 and Norma MRP powders and FED 215 Primers. Weatherby and Norma brass are the same.
:cool:

My experience, some years ago, was that 300 Wby factory ammo chronographed at around 3150 f/s with 180s from Mark Vs with 26 inch barrels.

The 378 Wby at 3070 f/s with 270 grain factory ammo and from Mark Vs with 26 inch barrels. 300 grain ammo was at around 2850 f/s.

As to accuracy my general experience has been that the Wby factory ammo often groups as well as any reload for the same rifle. I guess that should be the case since they have control of the chambering and accuracy is dependent on matching the load to the rifle.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back