Weatherby 300 ammo

HuntMT16

I am in the process of building a new rifle and have a couple of questions. I just purchased a Weatherby Vangaurd in .300 WinMag. I have not bought a scope for it yet but I'm looking at the Diamondback Tactical. (I know most here love Leupold and they make great products, but I am going with Vortex glass no matter what. I love their warranty, customer service and LE/Veteran discounts, so it's just a matter of what model I go with.) The problem I am running into is that I am not familiar at all with turrets and how they work. From my understanding once the rifle is sighted in at 100 yards all I have to do is dial in the adjustment for the yardage past 100 and hold where I want the bullet to hit. Where I am hung up is obviously the ballistics are different for every different caliber, load, etc. So am I misunderstanding how the turrets work, or do I just need to know my ballistics before purchasing the scope so Vortex can set the correctly?

My second question being, for anyone who has the same rifle, what factory ammo have you found the groups well. I know every rifle is different in what it likes and what it shoots well. I already plan to play around with different bullets to see what my rifle in particular likes. I am just trying to find a few different options that generally shoot well out of this rifle to have as a starting point. I've been shooing Nosler Accubonds out of my .308 for several years and really like the way the bullets perform so I suspect that will be at one of the first rounds I give a try.

Thanks in advance.

I’ll let someone else tackle your scope questions. I don’t have that rifle, but my .300 Wby really likes Nosler Trophy Grade with 180 gr AB. It’s been at least 3 years since I chronographed it so my memory is fuzzy, but I was consistently getting higher MV than claimed on the box. I think they claim 3125 and I was getting 3180 +-10. I’d give it a try, anyway.

100 yards is a great place to zero. To adjust for ranges less than 100 and beyond 100 yard you'll "Dial Up" from your 100 yard zero. You dial up because the bullet starts to fall immediately after leaving the barrel and at longer distances the bullet falls below your 100 yard zero. The idea is that you'll essentially re-zero the rifle for the range you intend to shoot. There are apps and websites that can get you in the ballpark for how much adjustment you'll need for each range based on the bullets ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, and atmospherics. Take the information they give you with a grain of salt since it's rarely ever dead on and not all scopes are 100% calibrated for accurate adjustment. Find as much information as you can about dialing a scope. There are lots of good videos on YouTube.

Your turret adjustments are going to be in MILS or MOA. Think of using a ruler - the measurement standards are just different. You’re not likely going to adjust the windage dial in the field, just elevation and use the reticle for wind calls.

I think there are some good NSSF videos on YouTube by Ryan Cleckner that will explain how that works better than I can. Once you’ve figured out the adjustments for your load at the range, print them out and tape them to your stock or somewhere handy.

If you get too far in the weeds on this and don’t want to deal with it, you could always use a 300 yard zero for your Weatherby and never touch the dial.

One more thing - make sure you use a strong mount for the scope with that cartridge. I found that one of the ring screws had sheared in half on mine after a box or two of ammo. It wasn’t overtightened, either.

If you plan on using turrets, I would get the hs-t or pst at a minimum. I wouldn't trust the diamondback to maintain repeat ability in tracking overtime. This is an issue with all lower priced "tactical" scopes.

And regardless of what a ballistic calculator says, you need to verify drops.

First off, how far do you plan on shooting?
0-500 yards a zero MOA base is recomended.
500-1,000 yards you should have a 20 MOA base.
I had bought a Diamondback Tactical. Was hugely disappointed in it!
Honestly the Crossfire II is a better scope, especially for the money.
I had the Tactical for 3 weeks, and got rid of it.
As Midwesthunter said, if your insisting on a Vortex, get at least a Viper series.

I plan to keep my hunting distances to under 400 yards for the ethics of everything. I am a firm believer in putting a stock on something and getting closer than to do the long range thing which is just unethical in my opinion. I plan to practice out to 800 or so just simply because if I can consistently hit at 800 at the range, 400 shouldn't be a problem in the field. I do want the option of shooting 6-700 yards in the field though (not that I plan to or want to) but just in case the perfect storm arises the need is there. Hopefully that makes sense

I second the opinion of using at least an HS-T, HS-LR, or PST if you're sticking with Vortex. Those have physical zero stops on the turrets. The Diamondback tactical doesn't have a zero stop, and if you accidentally spin the turret while walking, getting in/out of the truck or gun case, you have no idea where the zero is. If you're limiting yourself to 400yds, then you might want to look into scope with capped turrets and a reticle with a BDC. Sight in for 200yds. Then use a ballistic calculator (I use Istrelok on my Iphone) to determine what hash marks on the reticle correspond to different ranges. Most likely, your first hash mark will be ~300yds, and the 2nd hash mark will be close to 400 as well. Granted, these are all generalities, but should serve you well.

I second the opinion of using at least an HS-T, HS-LR, or PST if you're sticking with Vortex. Those have physical zero stops on the turrets. The Diamondback tactical doesn't have a zero stop, and if you accidentally spin the turret while walking, getting in/out of the truck or gun case, you have no idea where the zero is. If you're limiting yourself to 400yds, then you might want to look into scope with capped turrets and a reticle with a BDC. Sight in for 200yds. Then use a ballistic calculator (I use Istrelok on my Iphone) to determine what hash marks on the reticle correspond to different ranges. Most likely, your first hash mark will be ~300yds, and the 2nd hash mark will be close to 400 as well. Granted, these are all generalities, but should serve you well.
This is all solid advice.

I think I saw a guy have an issue with this on an antelope hunt once . . . ;)

This rings a bell for me as well....Can't help with the scope, but I had a Vanguard in 300 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag. Both seemed to like the heavier monolithic bullets better. I shot 180's in the 300 and 160's in the 7mm. I don't remember specific groups but I do remember the 7mm spraying 150 grainers into a 3-4" group at 100. The 160's would go into an inch.

I know i did exactly that for my bear hunt last year!
Stupid mistake, but it happens!
I'll second getting a scope with capped turrets and BDC.
I would get a 20 MOA one piece base, and a 4-12X42 Crossfire II.
Have used it on many hunts now, and still take it to shoot longer ranges (600-1,000 yards).

Shoot Schmalts a PM. He can get you all set up!

Well it looks like in you original post you have a Weatherby rifle in a 300 win mag ?
First off great caliber for all game . If your serious about hunting and some long range and dont reload try the Berger ammo in a 215 berger .
As far as a Scope I just watched my buddy shoot out to 1500 yrds with a 300 Rum and hand loads with the Vortext pst ! What a great Scope !! Hands down a keeper in my book !
This is going to be Extreme to what your looking for but maybe a option in your future . My 338 Edge has the Vortex Razor 5 x 20 x50 and a 55 moa base . I cant be happier with it ! Its heavy but very repeatable. I took this rifle out to 2053 yrds on Saturday.
Vortex is a great product buy with Confidence!

I would get the pst and be done !

MT.PERCHMAN

I am in the process of building a new rifle and have a couple of questions. I just purchased a Weatherby Vangaurd in .300 WinMag. I have not bought a scope for it yet but I'm looking at the Diamondback Tactical. (I know most here love Leupold and they make great products, but I am going with Vortex glass no matter what. I love their warranty, customer service and LE/Veteran discounts, so it's just a matter of what model I go with.) The problem I am running into is that I am not familiar at all with turrets and how they work. From my understanding once the rifle is sighted in at 100 yards all I have to do is dial in the adjustment for the yardage past 100 and hold where I want the bullet to hit. Where I am hung up is obviously the ballistics are different for every different caliber, load, etc. So am I misunderstanding how the turrets work, or do I just need to know my ballistics before purchasing the scope so Vortex can set the correctly?

My second question being, for anyone who has the same rifle, what factory ammo have you found the groups well. I know every rifle is different in what it likes and what it shoots well. I already plan to play around with different bullets to see what my rifle in particular likes. I am just trying to find a few different options that generally shoot well out of this rifle to have as a starting point. I've been shooing Nosler Accubonds out of my .308 for several years and really like the way the bullets perform so I suspect that will be at one of the first rounds I give a try.

Thanks in advance.

Leupold gives a 50% LE/Veteran discount. sign up on their website.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back