Weather?

Wapiti23

Hey everyone, I'm making my trek out to southwest Montana on the 20th of November. We will be hunting at about 7,500-9,000ft. I understand that mother nature is unpredictable but I was wondering what the typical temperatures are during the day at that time of year? I have hunted in central Wyoming many times but no later than the first week of November. The mornings are in the 20s and highs maybe to 50 there. I was wondering if it will be somewhat comparable?

Comparable, but temps/weather seem to sling wild. I've only hunted in Montana for four seasons in the late November period, but during those four years we have every type of late fall/winter weather you could imagine. In 2013 it was fairly mild, over 50 degrees with light rain for a couple days in late November. 2014 had single digit and below zero weather in mid to late November (experienced a great season getting a bull and the daytime temp never rose above 3 degrees). 2015 was milder and I hunted for four days prior to Thanksgiving and temps were 15 to 40 degrees with 10-15 inches of snow at the higher elevation areas, lots of sunny days and made for pleasant hunting conditions. 2015 seemed like a average year, experienced snows, sunny days, heavy wind, etc. 2016 was rather mild/warm and not good for elk hunting. There was 5-10 inches of snow in the higher timbered areas that fell in mid-November, but was super crunchy and it seemed like a rough season, did get a cow, but bulls were tough to find.
9000 feet is high and I would be very prepared for some serious wind along any exposed ridges/hillside. It can make hunting conditions tough and make shooting very difficult. Drifting snow will stop most any vehicle and chains/snowmobile/utv can come in handy. I'd be prepared for some rough weather, and hope to get some elk moving. Safe travels.

So far, it seems like there could be a lot of snow up that high, if this weather continues. There is still about 10" above 6,500' up by Helena. Not sure what it looks like further south.

Daytime temps will probably be in the 20s, lows around zero and snow, that's based on the predictions for West Yellowstone which is around 7000 feet so if you're closer to 9000 feet then it'll be worse.

Ok thank you for the info guys. We will be in the Livingston area if that helps at all? I've heard average is around 30 during the day but to expect a lot of wind and maybe 8-10 inches of snow. A little colder then what I'm used to while hunting elk but will just have to what to wear. Getting some KUIU gear but don't want to go too overboard with it. I have a few of the necessities just need to figure the insulation and out shell layers out. I'm from northern North Dakota so the cold won't bother me but the energy spent climbing while being very cool will be a little different.

Last edited:
You can check the weather records for Livingston for hard data, but remember Livingston is only 4,500 feet. You'll be several thousand feet above that. Temperatures drop with elevation, but more than that the higher elevations catch more wind, tend to create their own conditions and microclimates. Your body will be working harder in the terrain and elevation, compared to ND. I would not expect daytime highs above freezing and you may well see subzero. Be prepared and dress in layers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back