Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Weather

Aspen Hill Farm

What should I expect for the month of August and the first two weeks of September? Hot? Cold? Wet? Dry?

Here's where I will be.... I start in Namibia and expect at least 2 weeks there, might slide into Zimbabwe and will be the last 3 weeks in RSA (Northern Cape, North West and then KZN). I am doing a lot of moving around in six weeks.

Anyway, I am starting to think about what kind of clothes to pack.

Ann,

I have seen a picture you have mailed to Jan de Klerk of Africa Bushveld Safaris (South Africa) It was labelled "Dangerous Animals/ Creatures" featuring presumably you in the snow, aiming at two "dangerous" animals. Don't expect such cold weather in SA. Altough it gets pretty cold here, i strongly believe that you experience similar or colder weather in the USA.

On the topics of cloths, and apart from cloths to suit the weather, i assume that your "investigative" skills have paid off and that you know what to pack of you trip, in the line of shoes, socks, jacket, .... etc? :eek:

ABS,

Yes, that was me with that "dangerous game" in the snow. The photo made its way to page three of the family album here on this site too. :D All that snow gives one a interesting sense of humor.

Now I know not to expect three feet of snow when I am visiting southern Africa. But I hear it can be frosty in the mornings. So I am thinking of bringing a pair of good thermal underwear. Shoes/boots, well I do love my hiking sandals, prefer bare feet but hear that thorns are a problem in Africa. :(

I'll have a good pair of boots and a pair of cross trainer type shoes. Will these work?

I'm looking for ideas or things people forgot and wish they had taken with them too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So I am thinking of bringing a pair of good thermal underwear..... I'll have a good pair of boots and a pair of cross trainer type shoes. Will these work?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, the mornings are generally cold, but from about 11/12:00 extra clothing may be regarded as excess luggage. The thermal underwear is a must for the early morning and evening hunts, but again you will find that during the day you want to get rid of it.

Two pairs of suitable shoes are highly recommended. If one pair gets wet the other pair is available, but do not dare try new shoes, i need not to say more.....

Best of luck with the final preparations,
Regards
ABS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back