Weather nerds (heat burst)

Stocker

I kinda nerd out on wild weather events. Left home at 3am and his morning it was 79 and fairly humid. 100 miles west of where I live, sane temp then all of the sudden ran into a insane wind. In 4 miles the temp went from 77 to 96, at 4:45 am. Semis were blowing into the ditch and median, one laid over on the EB lanes, 20 miles west and the temp dropped back to 76. I guess it was a rare phenomenon called a “heat burst”. The town closest to where I was clocked the wind at 87mph. Pretty strange weather even for Nebraska. 7BBB5C88-70AD-4F4A-B693-FF372818C1BE.png

Speaking of wind in Nebraska, in mid June my buddy, son and I were driving west on 80 somewhere between Lincoln and Grand Island, headed for our little prairie dog shoot in Wyoming. Kept seeing irrigation rigs toppled over , trees in the ditch missing limbs, Corn blown over etc. Must've been a wild ride when it came through.

Speaking of wind in Nebraska, in mid June my buddy, son and I were driving west on 80 somewhere between Lincoln and Grand Island, headed for our little prairie dog shoot in Wyoming. Kept seeing irrigation rigs toppled over , trees in the ditch missing limbs, Corn blown over etc. Must've been a wild ride when it came through.

Yeah, they had 3 different storms go through that area. From Waco out to about Henderson they had baseball sized hail with 80+mph winds. A little ways north they had softball sized hail. Other places the smaller hail was so deep cars were stuck on roads. The corn went from waist high to bare dirt. I was out there the next day and it looked eerie with no leaves on the trees. That’s about where this heat burst happened as well. Those people need to go to church or something.

You wouldn’t think those pivots would catch enough wind to flip, but they sure do. Most of the ones you seen flipped were brand new this winter after a freak December storm twisted them up last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back