Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WE WON! Chaffetz is withdrawing HR 621

I Think Jason needs commended for pulling the bill period. It may be true that he has sponsored it before and had whatever reasons for pulling it. It don't matter it was pulled, appreciate it or keep bitchin. He might not be so inclined to hear your voice next time. The Rest of the r party I'm sure is calling him names today.

I Say thank him and let him know the opposition to 622 and suggest adding a bill to better fund the federal land management agencies so they can actually do their job

We will have to disagree on that. He should not be thanked for introducing a bill to sell public lands. Now if he wants to change his stance and sign the pledge to keep federal public lands in federal public hands like so many of the rest of us have, I might change my mind. I don't see that happening. He knew damn well what he was doing, he was just shocked by the amount of backlash, which is good. Keep up the good fight guys!

I Think Jason needs commended for pulling the bill period. It may be true that he has sponsored it before and had whatever reasons for pulling it. It don't matter it was pulled, appreciate it or keep bitchin. He might not be so inclined to hear your voice next time. The Rest of the r party I'm sure is calling him names today.

I Say thank him and let him know the opposition to 622 and suggest adding a bill to better fund the federal land management agencies so they can actually do their job

The important thing is that 621 is dead. If someone wants to thank him then to each their own.

To me it is analogous to someone saying, "I'm gonna kill your dog and burn your house to the ground". Later, after the bastard decides to let your dog live should you thank him? Especially if burning your house the ground (HR 622) is still on the table? It's a level of subservient grovelling I do not have the stomach for.

Imagine the backroom conversations:

Staffer: "Congressman Chaffetz, the polling tells us that if you introduce HR 621 the people will likely not stand for it, even in this favorable political climate."

Chaffetz: "Don't worry, I've done this before. We'll put HR 621 out there to test the winds. If it's not looking good I'll backtrack and put up a dopey instagram post. You just watch, if I'm successful I get what I want. If I'm not I'll have the suckers heaping me with thanks the day I pull it."

Magnanimity in victory comes *only after* unconditional surrender. Prior to that, you have no victory. Until then, keep kicking, even when they are down.
These are the lessons from the past, and, I believe, how President Trump correctly sees the world.

Magnanimity in victory comes *only after* unconditional surrender. Prior to that, you have no victory. Until then, keep kicking, even when they are down.
These are the lessons from the past, and, I believe, how President Trump correctly sees the world.

I understand your point, but I believe it is short-sighted to not admit that having over 7,800 people "Like" his Instagram post announcing the removal of 621 is a sort of positive reinforcement than can serve a purpose.

It still shows Chaffetz that public involvement and energy exists in the effort towards preserving public land. It is much better to have 7,800 "Like" this announcement than if the announcement was met with relative silence from his constituents.

I want him to know there are thousands of people watching his public lands votes and to remember that the next time the issue arises.

PS. If you read his letter to Rob Bishop regarding the subject, you would have to assume that Bishop was ticked off... which always makes the day just a little bit better.

Good point. I'm just more worried about the men behind his curtain than I am about him. They need to receive the message.

1. Congratulations! A win in the battle to preserve the life of the wild. Can you feel the power of uniting our voices?
2. Absolutely agree that this is the new future of fighting for public lands: Constant vigilance, constant advocacy, different allies.
3. Momentum! Savor this victory, use it to stay motivated and active. Our opponents deal the cards and name the game. Never get discouraged.

His instagram page the last few days has been FLOODED by public land advocates. Hundreds, if not thousands of comments. I can only imagine what he got through phone calls, face book, letters, etc. People tore him apart on instagram.

So upon his announcement that he withdrew and posted that photo of him and his little dog, I did say "thank you" I didn't gush, but as someone who made more than a few comments on his instagram page, I thought a simple "thank you for pulling your head out of your ass for the time being" was warranted.

+1 for the post's # 51 and #52. Yes.
One clarification:
I was there.
It wasn't a "1000 guys".
It was (however many
) guys, women, little boys and girls, old graybeards and blue hairs who probably can barely even get out on public lands anymore, and dogs.

I wonder, maybe, did the pics of dogs at the rally have anything to do with Jasoninthhouse's fake news photo of him and the dog?

The Guardian weighs in..... And gives the Montana "boys" credit.....

When Chaffetz reintroduced the bill on Jan. 24, conservation groups strongly condemned it. Hunters, anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts joined in opposing the legislation, with more than 1,000 protesters rallying against it in Montana. A poll released Tuesday — before Chaffetz pulled the bill — found that voters in six of the 10 states specified in the legislation are solidly opposed to the idea of radically altering land management in the region.

Awesome to see, in this day and age, if you pack 1000 people into a capitol building, they get labeled "protesters".

Y'all a bunch of long-haired hippie protesters now....... Gonna be keeping an eye on you...

I forgot to mention, when I was correcting the combative jerk :hump:, that yeah - there were also some long haired hippies actually at the rally.

That photo he posted could be staged as that dog does look awfully nervous? "Who the heck is this creep holding me?" However, I have to give Chaffetz some credit, at least he listened (this time anyway).

622 is just an awful idea. Thinking of the areas that have National Forest lands in my state, the few law enforcement staff we have in the rural areas have enough to do besides patrolling these lands. Our game warden force is stretched about as thin as it could be. There are numerous problems with littering, illegal off-road use, etc on our National Forests. I also have never come across federal law enforcement in any national forests I have been in (WI, MI, MT). If anything we should increase the amount of forest service law enforcement.

Chaney wrote an article for the Missoulian that tied in the massive efforts to kill HB 621 and the local effort of the rally and killing the trespass amendment so quickly.

Speed of public reaction on land use proposals dazzles pols, kills measures

Did you hear about the bill to stop requiring “No Trespassing” warnings on Montana fences?

How about the congressional legislation allowing sale of 3.3 million acres of Bureau of Land Management property, including 94,520 acres in Montana?

No?

Perhaps that’s because both issues disappeared almost before anyone not professionally involved could react. Montana’s Legislature has a tendency to raise and dispose of unexpected issues fast, something often chalked up to well-meaning but inexperienced legislators bringing unstudied ideas to the table. The big-leaguers in Congress usually move with more deliberation.

Not anymore.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back