We are fighting the last war . . . .

A lot of us that work in the skilled trades are making substantially more money than folks driving a desk. Every company in the trades is looking for help. All of our journeyman will make at least 100k this year. Some of our senior apprentices will hit that. 25 year old kids with no college education and basically no workplace responsibly besides showing up every day will make 75-100k this year. Supposedly for every 50 people retiring from the trades there are 7 coming to replace them.

Hell, you can go to the beef plant we do contract work at and get a job picking up meat scraps that fell on the floor and make $22/hr with overtime and union benefits right now. Some of those guys cutting meat on the floor are making almost 30/hr and they don’t speak English.

The question is will this folks that lose their jobs be man enough to get their hands dirty or will they just have their hands out for free money? If the pandemic is any indicator of behavior, it will probably be the latter.

Not joking. I've seen several instances in NE Oregon where USFS just plowed through its own locked gates (complete with steel/concreted posts), presumably because they showed up to do some work one day, but no one had the key.

Sounds like from the story we don't need someone with the keys ;)

Don't forget at some point it will also be a thing to implant chips (e.g., Neuralink) in peoples' brains. As soon as that goes mass production and "everyone" is assimilated gets AI installed, we'll all be geniuses (I mean, more so than we all are now, obviously....), and will amicably work together to solve the world's major issues. Right?

A lot of us that work in the skilled trades are making substantially more money than folks driving a desk. Every company in the trades is looking for help. All of our journeyman will make at least 100k this year. Some of our senior apprentices will hit that. 25 year old kids with no college education and basically no workplace responsibly besides showing up every day will make 75-100k this year. Supposedly for every 50 people retiring from the trades there are 7 coming to replace them.

Hell, you can go to the beef plant we do contract work at and get a job picking up meat scraps that fell on the floor and make $22/hr with overtime and union benefits right now. Some of those guys cutting meat on the floor are making almost 30/hr and they don’t speak English.

The question is will this folks that lose their jobs be man enough to get their hands dirty or will they just have their hands out for free money? If the pandemic is any indicator of behavior, it will probably be the latter.

Don't forget at some point it will also be a thing to implant chips (e.g., Neuralink) in peoples' brains. As soon as that goes mass production and "everyone" is assimilated gets AI installed, we'll all be geniuses (I mean, more so than we all are now, obviously....), and will amicably work together to solve the world's major issues. Right?
And don't forget 'shrooms - my newsfeed says apparently it is how harried working moms are getting through the day. We are just too dumb a species to survive this.

We do work at 4 different kill facilities and have installed and uninstalled so many machines that try to automate the process. I'm not saying never, but automation for meat packing it is a long ways off. When it does happen, the jobs that come with maintaining automation equipment are much better than cutting meat on a production floor.

We do work at 4 different kill facilities and have installed and uninstalled so many machines that try to automate the process. I'm not saying never, but automation for meat packing it is a long ways off. When it does happen, the jobs that come with maintaining automation equipment are much better than cutting meat on a production floor.
Better jobs maybe, but 50 to 1 reduction in them.

Its a common problem with all kinds of fields - professional and skilled trade.

The common denominator seems to be - if its difficult, requires attained skill or knowledge theres a massive shortage. Plumbers, electricians, and operators or nurses, engineers, and accountants. All kinds of these roles have "sign on" or relocation bonuses that 20 years ago were previously unheard of.

Youre spot on about people i know with art history degrees, antropology degrees, etc.... funemployed during the pandemic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back