Yeti GOBOX Collection

Waterproof socks while hunting?

MITCHMO

So coming off my recent moose hunt with very wet feet, it got me searching the internet for new boots. I came across waterproof Socks. Seems interesting and I wondered if anyone had tried them? Seems like a good thing to have if your boots get wet.

Never heard of them. IMO you need a good wicking system and not sure if that's even possible w waterproof socks. I have heavy insulated boots I wear with thick wool socks and there is zero moisture inside even if it's 90 degrees out because they wick so efficiently. Feet stay dry. Treat outside with wax pitch mix. Irish setter wingshooter and smart wools. There are more expensive boots that do the same thing but are lighter weight.

Last edited:
I'm a swapmeet/flea market junkie and I'm always bargain hunting. Back in June I went to NZ and my flight was in the evening so I had plenty of time to check out my local swapmeet before heading out to the airport. I found a new in the package pair of SealSkinz socks for $2 so I took them to NZ with me. Totally unplanned piece of gear and I'm so glad I did. Kept my feet dry in very wet terrain. I wore them with my mountaineering boots and while waterfowl hunting I wore crocs with the sealskinz and it was like wearing calf high waders. ps......I wore them over wool socks.
20190606_130004.jpg

I bought a pair. They were black with orange stripes and lettering. Can't remember the brand. I took them on an elk hunt and wore them with my trail running "sneakers" in the early morning when the plants were wet as the shoes were not waterproof at all. They help a lot! This was a mid Sept. hunt in mild weather and my feet sweat a lot all year. They did the job, then when the plants dried out mid/late morning I would take them off and strap them to the outside of my pack to dry while I switched to Smartwool socks for the rest of the day. On a side note this shoe set up worked well for covering ground in the mountains while just wearing a light pack and bow. But it sucked for heavy packs in and out. Stick with good pack boots for that!

That sounds mighty uncomfortable to me. If I thought I'd be risking soaking wet feet from marshy bottom terrain, I'd probably wear waders. Otherwise, I just wear gaiters over good goretex boots.

For early season elk I prefer wearing trail runners with wool socks. I take goretex socks in case of rain. Slip the goretex socks over wool socks, trail runners over that. Works great.

If your boots got soaked on a moose hunt, yes they would be better than sticking dry feet in wet boots.

So coming off my recent moose hunt with very wet feet, it got me searching the internet for new boots. I came across waterproof Socks. Seems interesting and I wondered if anyone had tried them? Seems like a good thing to have if your boots get wet.

I had the same thought after my AK trip, definitely a purchase I will be making before I do an AK moose/caribou hunt.

It's kinda hard to explain to people hunting in AK, you're hiking to far and on too unstable of ground for wader, and your boots are just wet the entire time. Gaiters are better than nothing, but you kinda have to go into that hunting accepting the fact that your boots will be wet soaked from the time you put them on till the time you take them off and won't dry even a little bit.

I think my main luxury item on a fly in hunt would be a pair of xtratufs, so that at least I could have dry feet around camp.

I can see the utility in a product of this nature, but for a high mileage and/or off-trail mountain backpack hunt there's not way it would work for me.

Looks like a lot of conflicting thoughts here. I got a cheap pair and I will put them to use here in Michigan and soon in Montana and report back. So far my feet have not been sweating while wearing them with light walking.

I bought some gortex socks once . didn't care for them. in fact I probably still have them , socked(unfortunate 😁 )away somewhere.

they made my feet sweat and bunched up and cut off circulation so my feet ended up getting colder then they did without them.

I much prefer a good pair of merino wool socks .

darntoughs are pretty darn good.

Back