waterproof hunting pants / jackets

i dont like the military stuff, noisy and hard to wear pants. i like the russell L5 rain gear i have a xxxl jacket and xl pants and fits in a 5x10" stuff sack and weighs maybe 2 pounds. the best advice is buy pants that are full length leg zip or atleast above knee length to allow you to get them on without taking off your boots, thats one of the reason a lot of people dont wear them. i will also add i am a big fan of suspenders for rain gear, helps with air flow which can be a bad thing if i ate mountain house chillimac night before!!!

CCC

Or in some's cases... you may need to get your balls out of your husbands purse.

Not sure I could hunt with a "Peter pan" though

BTW, those leggn's don't look to durable. They seem to perform similar to Kuiu?

Your not the first to comment on that days attire, i do prefer black on the bottom half..but the 3 bull
tahr I shot at that afternoon didn't seem to mind..

Those leggings are only about 6 years old, done maybe 250-270 days in the bush, some as
an 'outer' layer garment, others underneath a second layer, but I ask myself why I should wear expensive flashy looking stuff when I can keep putting holes in my old gear?
Italian made, (DefensTec) spelling?, they were probably the best wearing base layers I have ever owned. Insanely good, wouldn't hold a candle to these trendy new products by all reports though..

Last edited:
To be fair, it was an unbelievably hot week, I may have been taking the photo, but I was dressed the same. Football shorts are 'wear' its at in the heat and in the cold, leggings underneath, try it out, you won't go back to pants or jeans.

Here you go HGWT, digging through some old film pics and found this one, have to say my legs are better looking though...:D

mate, anybody can shoot a deer on the side of a track, cut it up and put the hind legs over your back like you have just carried it out 8 miles...nice try...but i do want to know where you get one of those caps from...way cool..

Huntfit has good taste in trucks too!

Back to the original question, waterproof over trousers are a nightmare for making you over heat, i avoid wearing them when i can, i use what has already been suggested, on cold days Icebreaker Merino leggings, lightweight non waterproof trousers and gaitors, job done.

I have never tried wool trousers, but they look hot and itchy, am i correct?

Cheers

Richard

Helly Hansen Impertech.

They are slightly heavier than a mythical "waterproof/breathable" pair, but they are durable and waterproof.

PS.

They are $70.

This gets my vote as well. been using mine for 10 years, and they are a little beat up but still keeping me dry.

question- i like the impertech II pant by HH but cannot find the weight of them, I need sz L, called HH and said all they have is shipping weight at 1KG. Anyone who has a pair able to weigh them using a kitchen ounce scale and lemme know? Every ounce matters, thanks!

question- i like the impertech II pant by HH but cannot find the weight of them, I need sz L, called HH and said all they have is shipping weight at 1KG. Anyone who has a pair able to weigh them using a kitchen ounce scale and lemme know? Every ounce matters, thanks!

Just weighed my pants. The HH impertech pant weighs in at 1 lb 3 oz. Not light, but I still carry them when I expect rain.

I choose to go bare skin…it’s waterproof and breathable. I often don’t even have to shoot the Elk as they frequently die of laughter. Now that’s a sight to see. You think a bull elk or any other animal wants to mess with a bare skin man helicoptering (well depending on how cold it is….well I can’t do it but hey I can pretend). Plus it’s truly silent.

Bonus tip: if youre like me aka a fluffy feller and you get chub rub (aka chafing) you can run in place to start a fire with the friction (free survival tip).

If this offends you…..you know what to do.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back