MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Warren and Atlanta areas?

Stan

Anybody have any experience (and is willing to talk about it!) on quality of mule deer in the area south of Warren, Secesh River area; north of Yellowpine, east of the South Fork of the Salmon; and north and northwest of Atlanta (upper North Fork and Middle Forks of the Boise River?.

I realize those are huge areas, but am looking for general info for a backpack hunt for deer (and possibly elk).

Thanks for anything!

Stan

Atlanta gets lots of traffic during hunting season. Most hunters don't get more than a mile off the road. You'll see some horse hunters in there too.

If you're willing to pack in, there are some big bucks and bulls in there.

Ditto what T-Bone said on the area between Warren and Yellow Pine. Anywhere South of the Main Salmon River, if you get more than a 1/2 mile off the road, you will be by yourself, and then it is just a matter of finding the critters.

I would also recomend any of those areas. There are some guys that Take horses on some trails in some of those areas. My recomendation would be NOT to drive to end of dirt roads. Find spots at random places anong the Road, Park your Truck and Head UP !!! there is many pockets between the beginning of a Dirt road and the end. Most people like to drive to the End and go. Take that Idea and Work with it. Hopefully it helps ?

Thanks for the info! That helps. My concerns include being able to get away from crowds and outfitters and that sounds good from what you guys say about getting away from roads (my style of hunting anyway) and densities of critters - I can get away from crowds in the Clearwater and Selway country, but unfortunately finding something to shoot can be another story. You guys think there are more, "good-sized" bucks (subjective, I know) in these areas than farther north?

Stan

Is this Stan the Man from South America and the Kifaru Board? If so, don't believe a word these kooks tell you! My rule of thumb is, the farther away from the big population bases, i. e. Boise, the better the hunting. Big bucks die of old age in those thick woods, and getting a shot makes for tough hunting. But having a less crowded hunt is more important to me than getting a buck every year.

I'm moving to the Bitterroot in a couple days and plan to do more Idaho hunting once I get settled. Head south to the Salmon country, or west to the Clearwater! Too much country to hunt and too little time!

Paul

Yikes, a fella can't get rest anywhere. This is he. Big Horny Ram? Hmmmm. What happened to T-falls? Moving to the Bitterroot? You outta become the next Dunc. I like the Salmon and the Clearwater too - but critters in that thar Clearwater can be a might hard to find - or I need to hunt it more. Or find out where you hunt! Catch up with ya later - I'm outtahere for a week or so.

Stan

Stan,

My wife took a job at Rocky Mtn Lab. I liked T. Falls, but my wife struggled finding work. I hope Hamilton is a good compromise between Bozeman and T. Falls.

Are you back in Idaho for good, or still working down South? Someday we have to get together for a ramble. I'll be off line for a while (6 months?), but will catch up with you later.

Paul

Paul,

At least from Hamilton, you can get into the Salmon and Selway-Bitterroot country faster.

Yep, I'm still working down south. Will be hunting goat (AK) and deer (ID) this fall - timing isn't right for elk.

I'll be real interested to hear how you do if you hunt the Bargamin Creek area this fall.

Stan

Stan, Who are ya hunting with in AK for Goat and what ya paying ? I'd like a Goat someday son and keeping my eyes/ears to the ground :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back