MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Warm Weather Cooler Question

Fishman35

Where is the best place to put my coolers during the day while car camping in September? It seems like September weather is too warm to lock my coolers in my vehicle during the day while I'm hunting but I don't want to leave them out where someone could get at them. Does anyone have any advice?

Park your truck in the shade in the coolest spot in the area. Crack the windows, wrap the cooler with sleeping bags to insulate. If you can somehow add a chunk of ice or dry ice that would obviously help. Some guys place their meat inside garbage bags and place them in a cool stream. If you add ice make sure to open the drain on the cooler so all your meat doesn't get wet with water when the ice melts. You obviously may not want to open the drain if in your truck. I often place a tarp around the cooler to help insulate it and keep melted ice get everywhere.

I think someone sells freezers that you can hook up to a generator or something else to keep meat cold in the back of a truck.

Buy an orion, yeti, something like that.

Leave the sleeping bags for, well, sleeping in (although they do help with cheap coolers).

We use yeti and pelican coolers and never worry about keeping things cold for trips up to a week long . We store them in our truck bed or in the shade under a tree. Knock on wood never had one stole from leaving outside in the shade but makes us a little nervous .

Wrap it in a sleeping bag as stated above. I try to park in the shade but it's hard to be shaded all day and in Nevada it's sometimes hard to be shaded at all. Even a cheaper cooler wrapped in a sleeping bag will stay cold a long time. I simply could not bring myself to pay Yeti prices for a COOLER! But I won one from a vendor and now have bought another. They are pretty amazing and add a sleeping bag and they keep things cold for a long time in high heat. Block ice or better yet frozen water bottles help too. And you can drink the water as it thaws.

As previously noted, using block ice can help. I typically get very possessive of the kids' used milk jugs starting in August. Clean them out good, fill with water and freeze. I have had some split, but for the most part, they will stay intact. right before you leave for your trip, take them out and put them in the cooler. That way, you have the freezer cleaned out for when you bring that big bull home, and you have hardly any mess with all the water. We also will use either frozen pop bottles or Gatorade/powerade bottles frozen. They are more "packable" for daily use, and always gives you just a little more water!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back