Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Wanton Waste Laws

jt13

Im doing a little research. If you want to help me out, post your states "wanton waste" law/statute/regulation including the penalty and let me know if you agree or disagree with it.

For example here's PA:

Section 2305 - Retrieval and disposition of killed or wounded game or wildlife

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person who kills or wounds any game or wildlife while engaged in any activities permitted by this title to refuse or neglect to make a reasonable effort to retrieve, retain or lawfully dispose of such game or wildlife.

(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

There are two regulations in CO that cover the topic, willful destruction and waste of edible wildlife.

Waste.jpg

Willful.jpg

I think Nebraska’s leaves too much up to discrediting and doesn’t allow for harsher penalties. In essence you could get the same penalty for not taking all the meat off of a crappie as you could cutting the antlers off an elk and leaving it.3E8DF285-AD4D-488C-916C-E6BD9315BCFF.jpeg

i feel like wanton waste penalties are weak everywhere.

the whole points loss thing is kinda silly to me in colorado. the fines should be massively higher.

you get convicted of intentionally killing an animal and leaving it to rot, whether it's half you didn't take, a quarter left behind, or the whole thing, you should be fined bookoo bucks. and sure have your points wiped but also be locked out of applying for and holding licenses for 5 years.

make people real scared to not put in the effort to get it all.

I did some work for BHA related to NY’s last round of a deer management plan. Believe it or not, that state does not have a wanton waste law on the books. Given the framework of NY’s Environmental Conservation Law, this rule would need to be established at the legislative level, and not by DEC. The establishment of such a law was on DEC’s legislative wishlist in the management plan.

They do have one on the books for migratory game birds because of Migratory Bird Treaty Act. 6 CRR-NY 2.30 (q).

Last edited:

Montana Code Annotated 2021​

TITLE 87. FISH AND WILDLIFE​

CHAPTER 6. FISH AND WILDLIFE CRIMINAL PROVISIONS​

Part 2. General Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping Offenses -- Related Offenses​

Waste Of Game Animal, Game Bird, Or Game Fish​

87-6-205. Waste of game animal, game bird, or game fish. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person responsible for the death of any game animal, game bird, or game fish suitable for food may not purposely or knowingly waste the game by:
(a) detaching or removing only the head, hide, antlers, tusks, or teeth or any or all of these parts from the carcass of a game animal;
(b) transporting, hanging, or storing the carcass in a manner that renders it unfit for human consumption; or
(c) abandoning the carcass of a game animal or any portion of the carcass suitable for food in the field.
(2) A person in possession of a game animal or game animal parts, a game bird, or a game fish suitable for food may not purposely or knowingly waste the game by:
(a) transporting, storing, or hanging the animal, bird, or fish in a manner that renders it unfit for human consumption; or
(b) disposing of or abandoning any portion of the animal, bird, or fish that is suitable for food. For migratory birds, "suitable for food" means the breast meat.
(3) A person responsible for the death of a mountain lion, except as provided in 87-6-106, may not abandon the head or hide in the field.
(4) A person responsible for the death of a grizzly bear wastes the game if the person abandons the head or hide or any parts required by department or commission regulation for scientific purposes pursuant to 87-3-131.
(5) For the purposes of this section, the meat of a grizzly bear or a black bear that is found to be infected with trichinosis is not considered to be suitable for food.
(6) A person convicted of a violation of this section may be fined not less than $50 or more than $1,000 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both. In addition, the person, upon conviction or forfeiture of bond or bail, shall:
(a) forfeit any current hunting, fishing, or trapping license issued by this state and the privilege to hunt, fish, or trap in this state for 24 months from the date of conviction or forfeiture unless the court imposes a longer period; and
(b) pay restitution pursuant to 87-6-905 through 87-6-907.
(7) A person convicted of waste of game by abandonment in the field may be subject to the additional penalties provided in 87-6-901.
(8) Regulations adopted pursuant to this section for game birds may not be more restrictive than comparable federal regulations, except as provided in subsection (2)(b).

Montana Code Annotated 2021​

TITLE 87. FISH AND WILDLIFE​

CHAPTER 6. FISH AND WILDLIFE CRIMINAL PROVISIONS​

Part 2. General Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping Offenses -- Related Offenses​

Waste Of Game Animal, Game Bird, Or Game Fish​

87-6-205. Waste of game animal, game bird, or game fish. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person responsible for the death of any game animal, game bird, or game fish suitable for food may not purposely or knowingly waste the game by:
(a) detaching or removing only the head, hide, antlers, tusks, or teeth or any or all of these parts from the carcass of a game animal;
(b) transporting, hanging, or storing the carcass in a manner that renders it unfit for human consumption; or
(c) abandoning the carcass of a game animal or any portion of the carcass suitable for food in the field.
(2) A person in possession of a game animal or game animal parts, a game bird, or a game fish suitable for food may not purposely or knowingly waste the game by:
(a) transporting, storing, or hanging the animal, bird, or fish in a manner that renders it unfit for human consumption; or
(b) disposing of or abandoning any portion of the animal, bird, or fish that is suitable for food. For migratory birds, "suitable for food" means the breast meat.
(3) A person responsible for the death of a mountain lion, except as provided in 87-6-106, may not abandon the head or hide in the field.
(4) A person responsible for the death of a grizzly bear wastes the game if the person abandons the head or hide or any parts required by department or commission regulation for scientific purposes pursuant to 87-3-131.
(5) For the purposes of this section, the meat of a grizzly bear or a black bear that is found to be infected with trichinosis is not considered to be suitable for food.
(6) A person convicted of a violation of this section may be fined not less than $50 or more than $1,000 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both. In addition, the person, upon conviction or forfeiture of bond or bail, shall:
(a) forfeit any current hunting, fishing, or trapping license issued by this state and the privilege to hunt, fish, or trap in this state for 24 months from the date of conviction or forfeiture unless the court imposes a longer period; and
(b) pay restitution pursuant to 87-6-905 through 87-6-907.
(7) A person convicted of waste of game by abandonment in the field may be subject to the additional penalties provided in 87-6-901.
(8) Regulations adopted pursuant to this section for game birds may not be more restrictive than comparable federal regulations, except as provided in subsection (2)(b).
I like how detailed that is with plenty of room for punishments.

Iowa

RETRIEVAL & WASTE OF GAME
While taking or attempting to take game or furbearing animals, you cannot abandon the injured animal without making a reasonable effort to retrieve it from the field. You cannot leave a usable portion of the game or furbear- ing animal in the field. “Usable portion” in this instance means the following: 1) for game, that part of an animal that is customarily processed for consumption; and 2) for furbearing animals, the fur or hide of the animal.

You can also legally trespass to retrieve downed game. You have to be unarmed and take the most direct route.

I would like the rule to be more specific on what is usable. A lot of meat gets thrown in the ditch by people not taking neck meat or rib meat and also only breasting out birds. I like the trespass rule. I do not believe it leads to any more hunting the property line then already exists, but I do believe it allows a person the opportunity to recover animals and not let them go to waste.

TN has no wanton waste laws.

As a matter of fact, whitetails are so thick in some areas that WMAs have gone to earn-a-buck restrictions and the WMA managers have said “I don’t care if you kill a doe and let it rot, you need to kill one before you kill a buck.”

Sad really.

The Montana regulation appears to include organ meats under the definition of Wanton Waste. Heart, liver, kidneys, etc. Can anybody comment on that?

Here's one line from post #6

MA's law, it was enacted mostly because of coyote hunters leaving them where they lay... now you have to skin a yote.

@JT13 I went down this rabbit hole a while ago and noticed NH and I believe VT don't have laws on the books but you have to take out deer whole. So you could take the deer out, check it, then cut off the antlers and chuck the rest.

In general I think NE needs more wanton waste and edible portions laws on the books and should scrap the "out whole rules", especially as more and more hunters are on public.

Also a number of states don't have salvage laws for meat on bears, which I disagree with... Idaho for one.

1658958293631.png

Here is Idaho's law:

Waste of Game
Hunters are required to remove and care for the edible meat of big game animals, except black bears, mountain lions and gray wolves. This includes the meat from hind quarters as far down as the hock, meat of the front quarters as far down as the knee and meat along the backbone which is the loin and tenderloin. It does not include meat of the head or neck, meat covering or between the ribs, internal organs, or meat on the bones after close trimming.

Fines run from $400 to $10,000 and can be more if multiple animals are involved.

Are there any regulations anyone is away of that go beyond recovery from the field? I.E. Shoot a limit of geese, bring them home, throw them in the trash

Are there any regulations anyone is away of that go beyond recovery from the field? I.E. Shoot a limit of geese, bring them home, throw them in the trash
If caught, that is wonton waste. Same with a cooler of fish.

The Montana regulation appears to include organ meats under the definition of Wanton Waste. Heart, liver, kidneys, etc. Can anybody comment on that?

Here's one line from post #6
I believe Montana only requires you to take the 4 quarters, backstraps,and tenderloins. Was thinking Wyoming is the same way?

Virginia’s law “No person shall kill or cripple and knowingly allow any nonmigratory game bird or game animal to be wasted without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal and retain it in their possession.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back