Caribou Gear

Want to Camp Off the Grid in Colorado

338RCM

My 6 year old has been wearing me out to take him camping and see some wildlife. We are looking for a place that we can get a Superduty with a 30' fifth wheel camper in comfortably. Not worried about water or electricity- just a place off a forest service road next to a creek or stream that I can listen to the sounds of water running and a 6 year old enjoying the mountains. We are coming from Kansas City Mo and looking for something in Colorado - easy drive west on I70 for me. I need a break from the grind and the mountains are calling me before elk season in Wyoming. Any info or general areas are appreciated- trying to minimize the hustle and bustle of RMNP or Estes park. Thanks for any tips or info..

There are several places around Yampa. Crosho Lake has some good spots.

Have a look at Montezuma Colorado. It's off 70 southwest of keystone. Great view of the divide, killer hiking and tons of water. It's my go to if I want to camp with my jeep!!

Sweetwater lake above Dotsero, and along the Colorado River above Dotsero, fishing! Piney Lake north of Vail. Sylvan Lake state park south of Eagle, may need reservation there. In reverse order of my preference.

My family and I just got back from the Granby area and around the Arapaho National Forest. We weren't camping, but the drive on Rt. 40 from I-70 was really nice. I noticed several campsites that were run by the forest service which were right off of Rt. 40. I recall one specifically called "Robbers Roost", maybe check that one out online to see if it fits a pull behind. I don't know anything about camping that area, but it looked nice, plus there were amenities for kids not too far away. On that side of RMNP, we didn't feel the crowds were awful, but it was during the work week. Good luck and enjoy.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back