Caribou Gear Tarp

Walleye fisherman

SDbuckmaster

Got a freezer full of eyes just wondering if you guys had any good ways to cook other then frying.Thinking about grilling or the oven just not sure what to do.

Parmesan crusted walleyes

Just back from SD myself....
Pat fillets dry with paper towel. Dip in flour and any seasoning, I like Cavender's All Purpose Greek seasoning. (it's awesome on eggs and fish) Dip in beaten eggs. Dip in mix of flour and grated Parmesan cheese (Not the kind you put on spaghetti, but the kind you get shredded in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator section). Lay in baking pan sprayed with oil to prevent sticking. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on 350 for about 10-12 minutes, then turn oven to broil, and keep VERY close eye on them. When they start to get crusted on top, pull them out. Some folks like to drizzle melted butter over them at this point, but it's not necessary if you are going for something a little more healthy than pan fried fish. Enjoy!

4 walleye fillets

6 -8 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup mushroom (sliced)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
lemon pepper

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 Dip fish in melted butter and lemon juice.
3 Place fish fillets into shallow baking pan. Season with lemon pepper
4 Place mushrooms and onions over the top of fish, then spoon any remaining butter mixture over fish.
5 Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until fish flakes.

Usually I will sautee the mushrooms and onions to give them a head start but you don't have to.

4 walleye fillets cut into bite size chunks
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon green pepper corns
1 teaspoon FRESH lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper (it makes a huge difference)

Melt the butter on med to high heat until butter just begins to brown
add lemon zest and fillets and cook quickly fish (8 to 10 minutes) don't over cook.
add green pepper corns and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, place lid on pan and let sit for 5 minutes.
Serve immediately.

I like this with new potatoes from the garden and fresh peas with mint.

Last edited:
now that sounds really good - walleye ceviche and a beer. Make it and bring some to me would ya?
What about pickled walleye?

I like to throw a few fillets in a foil pack with some butter and seasoning salt on the grill.

Always turns out good and reminds me of several shore lunches over the years.

fast, simple, and tasty,

tip... throw foil pack of cut up potatoes with butter and seasoning on about 20 minutes early.

Here's a new recipe I just tried. It is bacon wrapped stuffed walleye. They are delicious! I cut the walleyes in half and just use the thick end of the fillet.

1 inch thick fillets

Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder and something like a Zatarain’s spicy seasoning on both sides of the fillet. Cut a slit in the fillet on the side so that it has a big opening like a pita. Then in a bowl, mix some mayo, lemon juice, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, finely chopped onion, shredded cheddar cheese and about 1-2 cups of cooked broccoli, chopped up small. Stuff the mixture into the fillet. Then wrap 2 or so pieces of bacon around the fillet. Put on the grill and cook for roughly 10-12 minutes, or until it starts to flake. You can either put it directly on the grill or else cook with foil.

Attachments

• IMG_20130618_181017_514.jpg
    IMG_20130618_181017_514.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 364
Walleye make great fish tacos. Cut in small chunks and sauté it with a bit of olive oil, a few tablespoons of green salsa, some garlic and Old Bay seasoning. Only cook it until it gets translucent--not too long. Put it in a taco shell with onions , a bit of shredded cabbage, olives and cheese. Top with a squirt of lime juice and a bit more salsa and cilantro, and maybe some sour cream and you've got it! Probably should serve with a Kettle House Cold Smoke Scotch Ale too!!

Last edited:
Here's a new recipe I just tried. It is bacon wrapped stuffed walleye.
Looks great!!
And here I was thinking... "How am I gonna get FAT not eating deep fried walleye??!!"
Question answered:D:D

Leave the fillets in cold water and dip them into Louisiana fish batter. The blue bag. Can't go wrong. Don't forget the wings.

Poor Man's Lobster:

-pat fillets dry
-salt lightly
-boil until done in a 50/50 mixture of water and 7-up
-serve with melted butter

I'm allergic to fish so can't eat it but the kids LOVE the above recipe

Never had it but how about Walleye Ceviche...http://www.gastronomicgardener.com/walleye-ceviche/

I just made this and it turned out excellent! I will no longer be buying the frozen seafood bags at costco when I want ceviche! I made a second batch with pike instead of walleye and it's just as good... I let it soak in the lemon for 3 days the first time and 1 day the second time instead of the 4 hours called for by the recipe. The 3 day soaking was by far, the best.

Back