tent with 5' walls? Also, is it best to
vent the jack straight up, or at a 90 degree
angle going straight out the side to prevent
ash burn on the canvas? Thanks alot!

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

[This message has been edited by Reggae (edited 02-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Reggae (edited 02-04-2001).]

Spotted Owl, I have had a 14x16x5 A wall, for a long time, and my stove pipe opening is situated at the front, straight up through the roof. I've never had a problem with it.

I've been in seven outfitters' elk camps, with multiple A wall tents, and haven't seen any that go out through the sidewall.

I have, however, talked with a tent maker who said that the pipe through the sidewall was best, as he claimed it avoided sparks falling down on the roof, but a disadvantage is, that the 90% elbow of the pipe, will collect a great deal more heat at that point, than a straight run through the roof. Might be harder on the pipe?????? Also, if someone brushed against that hot pipe, outside, it might sting a bit.

I guess I'll stick with my "hole-through-the-roof."

FWIW. L.W.

My opinion would be the middle of the tent for best heat ditribution. When they are at the end, that end is always warmest.
The 90degree elbow will act like a heat dam, if you vent out the wall. It also will collect creosote there, and can sometimes be a problem w/ proper draw of the smoke from the stove (depending on wind direction). The straight pipe thru the ceiling is the easiest , most fool-proof way. All stove pipes should have spark-arresters on them at the top to stop ashes/sparks from escaping. It protects both your tent, AND the forest!
Make sure you get a small window or ventflap on the opposite end of the tent, from the doorflap. This will let you setup cross flow ventilation . Its always needed!
Good luck there..Sparkman

Hi spotted owl-I have a 12x15 with 5' walls and have my stove in the front by the door the chimney goes straight up thru the ceilng.I get alittle ash on the tent but its really not bad,I just hit the inside of the tent and it hops off,a spark arrester is a must.
What brand of tent you thinkin about getting and stove if you dont mind me asking.

------------------
Good Huntin-Kraven

Thanks guys for the info. Good flow is pretty
important, and any elbow would probally
mesh that up. I'm thinking about putting
the stove either in the back corner, or in
the middle next to the wall. Kraven, I've
already got the stove. Its a Cylinder brand,
and it awesome. I got the water heater with
it. The tent I'm wanting to get in made in
Tukwilla by Rainier Industries. The 14x16x5,
with a sod cloth, jack, window, interal frame
and a bag runs $999. I saw it at their factory, and its pretty sweet. I don't know
if I could beat that price anywhere, and its
good quality canvas. Thanks again.

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

Spotted Owl, you didn't say, but are you and your buddies planning on using your tent for just sleeping?? Or for cooking, eating, storing gear and food, etc????

I still believe that you're better off putting your stove at the front. Mine is about three feet from the front wall, so I can lay in a real good stack of firewood, next to the tent wall itself, between the stove and the front wall. If the wood is damp, it dries as the stove heats the tent. Also, the wood is out of the way, and when ou add to it, you don't have to start crawling over cots and other gear, etc., to stack your wood.

If you put it in the middle of the tent, then you take up some valuable space around it, because, no matter what, that stove gets hotter than a forged hammer in Hell, and when people are going back and forth around it, to get to cots, and tables or cooking areas or eating areas, etc., it is much easier to burn one's self, than if it's in the corner, near the front.

Just my opinion. L.W.

Leanwolf

Your probally right about the location of
the stove. In our elk hunt in Az last fall,
it was -10 4 nights in a row. BURRRRRRRRRRR!!
We were fine, but I was the fire *****, filling that puppy 2-3 times a night. Thats
not normal conditions. We use a smaller wall
tent to store supplys. I'll use the front
corner for the stove. With a 12x16 tent, there still should be plenty of room for
4 guys. Thanks for the input!

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

to get your stove the right distance out from the wall is important also,if the pipe hole is in the back of the stove,all your stove will be sticking out in the doorway,so you could order the jack back a bit and still be away from the wall enough,if your pipe hole is in the middle of the stove, the back end could possibly be to close to the wall.set your stove up and get all the measurements before you order it and get the jack in the right place.consider sleeping arrangements,cooking and firewood storage.

Hey spotted-I am getting ready to order a cook shack for my tent and am getting another cylinder stove to go with it stepping up to the outfitter model gonna put it in the main tent and the hunter stove in cookshack.correction my tent is 12x14x5.good luck w/ the new tent,i'm getting mine thru a company in montana end of year sale.talk to ya later.
wink.gif

------------------
Good Huntin-Kraven

Kraven,

Your a smart guy. My stove kept us pretty
warm, but if I had to do it over again, I
would definetly go with the outfitter. If
nothing else, it would be less wood filling
in the middle of those cold nights. Gotta
say I love the Cylinder brand. Its done me
right!

------------------