Wall Tent & Rain Question

jabber

How do you set up your wall tent so if it rains the water doesn't run inside the tent? I try to find the flattest ground possible, but there is always some slope, where the rain water will drain and run into the tent. Last week I tried to dig a small trench to direct the water away but that almost seemed to make it worse instead of better.

What or how do you do it?

The trench should be between 3 and 5 inches deep. Dig the trench all the way around the tent/shelter. You will want the trench to slope toward the lowest point in the area around the tent/shelter. At the lowest point, create an opening so the water can flow out, rather than backing up into the trench. Also run the tent corner at an angle on the uphill side like an inverted V.

You might still get some roof runoff along the edge of the tent. the trench should drain that away

1605738105667.png
It is not "low impact" per se but you should be able to smooth it over when you break down camp.

One problem I had was my ground tarp stuck out from the edge of the tent and caught the rain, directing it under the tent. Usually this was the "porch area" out in front of the door, uncovered by the fly. Quick lesson learned there.

Last edited:
The trench should be between 3 and 5 inches deep. Dig the trench all the way around the tent/shelter. You will want the trench to slope toward the lowest point in the area around the tent/shelter. At the lowest point, create an opening so the water can flow out, rather than backing up into the trench. Also run the tent corner at an angle on the uphill side like an inverted V.

You might still get some roof runoff along the edge of the tent. the trench should drain that away

View attachment 162672
It is not "low impact" per se but you should be able to smooth it over when you break down camp.

One problem I had was my ground tarp stuck out from the edge of the tent and caught the rain, directing it under the tent. Usually this was the "porch area" out in front of the door, uncovered by the fly. Quick lesson learned there.
Perfect explanation of how to make the trench. As mentioned a tarp that extends past the tent will help direct the run off to the trench. You can kind of see the trench. Maybe....lol

Attachments

• 742B707A-FA5D-4554-A216-DA9D5D672449.jpeg
    742B707A-FA5D-4554-A216-DA9D5D672449.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
I’ve never trenched mine. My fly extends out about 8-10” from the tent eave. Don’t put the tent in a sink hole.

I tarp my 12x14 w/ a 15x20 waterproof / flame retardant tarp. The 20' gives around 2' overhang <edit added: maybe more figuring my rise is around 7.5' (?)> . I've trenched a line once otherwise I've not had an issue.

Prior, I used the typical poly medium duty tarps in the same or close to same size. Did fine though I always had my stove jack ---> back wall without the tarp covering. W/ this fire retardant, it puts me at ease.

Last edited:
I get rained on a lot! Site selection first thing. While the wall tent does well, a rain fly brings added comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back