Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Walk from Lost Trails Pass

ELKCHSR

The day started cold and dark as I had my wife drop me off at the Lost Trails Pass rest area at the cross roads of Montana and Idaho on Hwy 93

She asked yet again if I really wanted to do this, my response was as usual, always the same

Yes...

A day pack with a few essentials and a set of snow shoes, I was ready to take my journey...

The pass had about 4 feet of snow, I was trying to push this hike to the last minute before fire season started, hoping to find a few sheds and see some new babies in the process...

Over the last bunch of weeks, the storms just kept coming in over the mountains and laying several feet of snow in the highlands

With all my estimating, I had figured it would take about two weeks to walk from the pass back to my house in Anaconda, 55 miles as the crow flies

I also figured with all the steep up and down, along with the round abouts thru the canyons, I would probably end up with about 80-95 miles at the end of the trail...

I had to put on the snow shoes right off the bat as the snow was soft enough, even with all the ski trails that I was falling thru the crust, even as cold as it was

I hiked thru the mountains all that day to start with, putting on probably only about 8-10 miles and set up my first camp

There wasn't much to see as the snow was still a little to deep to bring the big animals out and the smaller ones were mostly in hibernation

The first three days ended up being pretty stormy and dumping another 18" of snow on me as I slogged over passes and thru valleys...

walk_lost_trails_pass_40.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_39.jpg

About half way, I dropped into a deeper valley that had grass growing and things happening

There were some elk on far away parks, and deer were herded up as they awaited the snow to melt and they could move upward

There were also moose sign every where, even though I didn't get to see to many and the ones I did spy were to far away to get any good pictures

As I was walking along thru the long grass, I just about stepped on this little guy, he wouldn't move, not even blink as I walked up closer and got a couple good pics before moving on...

walk_lost_trails_pass_54_592863.jpg

This little elk calf was a nice surprise after a week of not seeing much...

As I moved up the other side of the valley, I ran across another baby, this one was really attentive to what I was doing, he just wouldn't move more than his eyes and head as he watched me take a few steps closer in my approach to get his pic...

walk_lost_trails_pass_53_768534.jpg

I don't normally let myself get this close to babies, so was quick to notice this little guy had black spots where his new nubs would be next year...

It was also quite nice to find new plants growing and life springing up from every where, even the snow had flowers sprouting out of it...

walk_lost_trails_pass01.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_30.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_37.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_41.jpg

It's time to move on for now, I'll continue this maybe tomorrow or when I get a little more time...

Thanks guys...

LOL Moosie... :D

It wasn't about the hunt, there are other things just as valuable...

! ! ! G A S P ! ! !

Did I just say that on this board.... ;)

I'll have more pics and story later though.... :)

Ohh I'm not disagreeing with you, I just couldn't justify the time to cross country like that.

I'm guessing it was a great trip for ya !

I'm amazed at how every thing looks to be "non-touched" by man but still is full of things that showed he had a presence in these places of serene beauty...

Cabins still dot the hill sides, most over the years had been burned down by the FS to prevent squatters...

walk_lost_trails_pass_33.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_32.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_31.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_19.jpg

An occasional vehicle can still be found reverting to its base elements...

walk_lost_trails_pass_24.jpg

I ran across in some of the more protected valleys...a few other flower types

They were always a constant joy to come across, especially when mostly all you've been seeing is brown, white, green, grey...

walk_lost_trails_pass_47.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_48.jpg

walk_lost_trails_pass_07.jpg

I had thought about bringing my metal detector along on this trip, but at the last minute decided not to...

After running into the amount of old cabins and the like, I wish I had...

Some of the areas wouldn't have worked as the ground was still frozen solid, but the others would have added a little to the trip I think...

There is a lot a guy can think about in retrospect on such a journey, all the things that one could have done differently, but that can be accomplished on the next trek...

If possible, I have another one in mind, problem is, it will take a little longer, and I'm not sure if I can break my ties with society for that length of time in one stint...

It would sure be worth the effort though...

Since were only allowed 8 pics per post, I’ll have to add to this one in the future... :)

Ken...

Just a plain old "Kodak 5.0 Meg camera...

The only problem with this one is that it takes about 10 seconds for the camera to reload and ready for the next pic, this has worked well in the fact it makes one take better thought out pics, instead of taking mass amounts and picking out only a few, I find myself keeping more than I erase any more....

Tom...

I don't have a map at the ready, but will see what I can do to get some thing together for you...

I didn't take any maps with me on this walk, I ran on the Way point I set on my GPS for home...

I didn't B-line it home though; my trek was to take me where I felt I wanted to go, only using the way point as a general guide...

I figured I had two weeks to complete this hike, so wanted to get the most out of it...

As for your other questions:

The only part of me that got wet was my bottom half...

This happened when I was slogging thru the snow over the passes when it was waist deep and the sun was out, the snow melted and got me a little damp...

This was fixed by starting a fire when I got to an area with good wood supplies and spent a few hours drying out, this happened four different times over my trek...

I also got my feet wet almost every day by walking thru swollen creeks and shin deep wet snow...

The only other issue, one day there was about three hours of rain that came in almost at dark, I had to make a different type of shelter and just tough it out...

The rain stopped just before dark and I was able to get completely dried out before it was time to go to sleep...

Stilllearning...

Patience... :)

I'm glad you all like the story, I'll see if I can't get more up a little later, have a lot to do right now though....

Wow, how many bateries did it take to keep the GPS going? That would be my worry with no map, besides staying dry or getting dry again after wet. Glad you were able to get fires going to dry off each time. Seems like that could get a bit dangerous.

I always take a number of batteries with me for both my GPS and flashlights, and a compass if the batteries give out, one only needs a general direction when traveling such a distance any way...

I also had the sun in the morning to start out by or end my day with... :)

The RH's (relative humidity) aren't like your neck of the woods, one can dry their things just by hanging some things and letting them air dry...

With the beetle kill in this region, there is wood to burn almost every where, and lots of it...

However, it really boils down to training and knowledge on what to do in these situations...

Most people don't or won't stop when they get wet/cold/tired/hungry...

They figure they have an objective for the day to meet and will stop at nothing except death to mitigate these problems...

That's what gets most people in trouble in the first place...

So, as it comes to 'dangerous', that is dependent solely on the individual and their attitude on such an endeavor and some unforeseen events that crop up on occasion...

There are always inherent risks to any thing we do, some just more so than others... ;)

Tom...

Take some time off one of these days and I'll take you out for a few... :)

ELKCHSR

Could you break down what you were carrying?

Especially when it comes to food

I make this dry food consisting of meat and vegetables, laid out on pans to dry then broken into chunks; it cooks into a soup like substance that tastes like stew

I also fill my diet by foraging up some of the great things provided in nature

Then:

Homemade jerky
3 water bottles (same as you get bottled water or pop in, about 20 oz)
Instant coffee
20' of P-Cord (parachute cord)
4 Wal-Mart type shopping bags
1 Lg garbage bag
1 Bag nuts
1 Block of cheese
1 Bag of home made sweets (consisting mostly of pure berry juice)
1 knife
1 Compass (in my pocket
1 Flint and Steel (main source of fire (in my pocket)
3 Lighters (as back up, 2 in my pack and one in my pocket)
1 Roll TP
1 Stainless steel cup
1 bino
20’ Fish line and small package of hooks and sinkers
1 GPS
1 Camera
1 Package home made scent wipes
2 extra pair socks
1 extra t-shirt
1 Set snow shoes (on this occasion (Same ones I bought from lilbigun a few years back))

I think this is about it, I will have to recheck if there was any thing else, but I think this was it...

By the time I got back to Anaconda, the food was all but gone, and I was living mostly off foraged fare

I didn’t lose much weight (it needed to go any way) and was in tip top shape for fire season, that’s fore sure... :)

No tarp??

I would have at least needed a tarp.

What do you guess that stuff weighed??

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back