Waders that don't suck?

Irrelevant

Do they exist? Of is that asking too much. I mean we have self driving electric cars and rovers 4-wheeling on Mars you'd think someone would figure out how to make waders that don't leak.

I lived in simms for years steelhead fishing and guideing, they are pretty much the only ones I have faith in at this point
Same here, I fish in them for my own pleasure, and whilst I am guiding fly fisherman in the UK.
I used to buy Orvis, but their customer service went down hill in relation to their waders in previous years, so it's Simms all the way these days.
Cheers
Richard

I’ve been using Rogers’s Sporting Goods brand 5mm waders the past 4 seasons and have no leaks so far

I've done two years of fishing in $75 Caddis waders with no leaks.

Yeah I feel you, I've had pretty good luck with mine... but they seem to all leak at some point. Especially if you go into real deep water where there is more pressure.

I was actually thinking about this the other day... I'm looking into doing a serious dive into pack rafting and a dry suit pretty much required equipment, especially if your in AK or other areas where your floating glacial fed streams. Dry suits are the same price if not slightly cheaper than simms waders.

Other than looking like a dork I can't why hunting or fishing in a dry suit late season wouldn't be the way to go. Sure you would get hot in July, but I don't typically even wear waders in the summer. Plus it would be nice to be able to legit swim if you had to...

Same here, I fish in them for my own pleasure, and whilst I am guiding fly fisherman in the UK.
I used to buy Orvis, but their customer service went down hill in relation to their waders in previous years, so it's Simms all the way these days.
Cheers
Richard

p.s Orvis waders....made in China....Simms....made in Montana...go figure!

Cheers

Richard

Reactions: Guy
Just to rule out a few, between hunting and fishing the only brand mentioned so far that I haven't owned are simms (and the Rogers Sporting Goods... I guess I haven't heard of them). I just can't find a mortgage payment worth of cash laying around waiting to be spent on waders...

But maybe that's what it takes. Sitka also looks appealing at a similar price point.

I picked up a $90 pair of 3mm neoprene off of camofire in october 2016. Just now starting to look around for waders again as they have finally started to develop a slow leak. I got 3 full seasons out of them, and I'm going to shoo-goo them and hope they hold out the remainder of the fourth season. Then I'll most likely replace them with another <$100 pair of neoprenes. Its hard to justify the expensive pairs when I can get 30-50 years out of cheap neoprene waders for the same cost as a pair of simms/sitkas.

I have a pair of Reddington Stockingfoot waders that even have a zipper and they don't leak. I would rate them pretty high. But being stocking foot - they are damn cold.

Who makes the warmest chest waders - suitable for duck hunting at foul temperatures in horrible conditions?

I used to hunt in neoprene, but the long walks into some of our spots really wears my hip flexers out with the resistance of neoprene, I've gone to various versions of non-neoprene (usually some proprietary fabric with DWR), but they're about as long lasting as an ice cream cone on a hot day. I went with Cabelas brush tuff once, paid, what I felt at the time was a ton of money, only lasted two season before getting several holes.

I used to hunt in neoprene, but the long walks into some of our spots really wears my hip flexers out with the resistance of neoprene, I've gone to various versions of non-neoprene (usually some proprietary fabric with DWR), but they're about as long lasting as an ice cream cone on a hot day. I went with Cabelas brush tuff once, paid, what I felt at the time was a ton of money, only lasted two season before getting several holes.

I haven't used them but I've been eyeing the new Patagonia waders... spendy yes, but Patagonia stuff tends to have a ridiculous wear life. They could totally suck, but given that I still own every piece of patagonia my parents bought, I'm at least willing to give them a try.

I haven't used them but I've been eyeing the new Patagonia waders... spendy yes, but Patagonia stuff tends to have a ridiculous wear life. They could totally suck, but given that I still own every piece of patagonia my parents bought, I'm at least willing to give them a try.
Yeah and technically they're supposed to come with a lifetime warranty. All Pataguchi does.

Waders are like game cameras for me, you get about 3 seasons out of them no matter what I buy so I buy the cheap stuff.

currently rocking a 3 year old pair of redhead that have a slow leak in left boot, it’s manageable. Last pair was redhead, 3 years. Before that Mack’s prairie wings brand, 3 years. Cabelas too. You get the picture 😂 I will day I am extremely rough on waders, I’m in timber and thick buck brush typically.

Waders are like game cameras for me, you get about 3 seasons out of them no matter what I buy so I buy the cheap stuff.

currently rocking a 3 year old pair of redhead that have a slow leak in left boot, it’s manageable. Last pair was redhead, 3 years. Before that Mack’s prairie wings brand, 3 years. Cabelas too. You get the picture 😂 I will day I am extremely rough on waders, I’m in timber and thick buck brush typically.
Yep, three years is the most I've ever gotten, usually only 2. I mainly hunt cattails and tules, but the occasional small hawthorn has likely done in several pairs. But honestly, I think the amount of walking I do it the biggest culprit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back