Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Waders that don't suck?

i picked up a pair of breathable drake ones last year.. so far they seem to be holding up well and i like them better than the thick neoprene ones. These are loose and allow me to layer under them boots kinda suck on them but can't win them all i guess

Four seasons is good but I do get 5 or better. I buy a faced 5 mm neoprene, currently Cabela’s. I usually try to buy a stout to reduce stress on seams. I have started seam sealing interior and exterior with flex seal liquid NOT SPRAY right off the bat. I hang them up in the off season and spray boots with armor all. I get good results that way.

Four seasons is good but I do get 5 or better. I buy a faced 5 mm neoprene, currently Cabela’s. I usually try to buy a stout to reduce stress on seams. I have started seam sealing interior and exterior with flex seal liquid NOT SPRAY right off the bat. I hang them up in the off season and spray boots with armor all. I get good results that way.
Those are some good tips.

Have any of you used either of the booted, insulated waders from LLBean? If so, what are your thoughts. Dropping near $800 on a pair of Simms just isn't palatable for some reason.

I’m going on year 7 in a pair of Lacrosse neoprenes. I duck hunt areas with tons of buck brush and other things that are hard on waders and they haven’t failed me other than a very slow leak in the crotch that only leaks if I squat in a sitting position.

I’ve tired of the neoprene on my hip flexors though and will likely be getting a pair of Banded breathable waders whenever these fail me. Wore my buddies for day last year and felt like I was walking in my deer hunting bibs. It was super nice. He’s on year 3 with no issues whatsoever. They have a good warranty as well.

USIA will be my next pair, check them out. They are made in oregon and USIA makes drysuits for the military and commercial use. They are crazy heavy duty and the boots are replaceable.

USIA will be my next pair, check them out. They are made in oregon and USIA makes drysuits for the military and commercial use. They are crazy heavy duty and the boots are replaceable.
They are interesting but not clear how well insulated they are. At least not that I could see easily. Need to spend a little more time on that one.

They are interesting but not clear how well insulated they are. At least not that I could see easily. Need to spend a little more time on that one.
The bog boots are rated pretty well that they use, probably not as good as 1600 thinsulate based on my comparison to my muck arctic sport boots. The wader body isn't insulated, a pair of puffy pants takes care of that issue. I would prefer the non-insulated during early season and even for fishing, my neoprene waders are miserable until its 20 degrees out.

I’ve been guiding in Simms the last 20 years. 115/120 days in a row, I get about four or five years out of them.

At $800 a pop, I seems like you are getting your money's worth, but that's a hell of a chunk of change to throw out there for most of us.

At $800 a pop, I seems like you are getting your money's worth, but that's a hell of a chunk of change to throw out there for most of us.
With out question it’s a lot of money. In my case I view it like being in the trades; or working in an office. waders are just a tool in the box or suits hanging in the closet.
That being said I run a relatively inexpensive
Pair of 5mm Cabelas for my recreational duck hunting, they work just fine.

I haven't used them but I've been eyeing the new Patagonia waders... spendy yes, but Patagonia stuff tends to have a ridiculous wear life. They could totally suck, but given that I still own every piece of patagonia my parents bought, I'm at least willing to give them a try.

Try them on first. I've worn a lot of waders for fly fishing and guiding, and the one set of Patagonia waders I had were great quality but had a bizarre fit compared to the Orvis and Simms waders I've owned.

Those USIA looks pretty darn hard to beat. I do wish they had a slightly more insulated boot, but that looks like a pretty darn good product for the price. Lifetime warranty at least on the seams.

I have a pair of Drake breathable waders now for duck hunting. They made it through this season great. We will see how long they last, I have high hopes as these are the most expensive pair of waders I have bought.

Previously had some Gander Mountain neoprene waders that lasted 4 seasons before leaking and then eventually getting a huge tear when I was walking on shore and they hung up on a beaver cut log. For fishing I use Frog Toggs stocking foot that aren't super expensive. I usually get about 3 years out of them

Those USIA looks pretty darn hard to beat. I do wish they had a slightly more insulated boot, but that looks like a pretty darn good product for the price. Lifetime warranty at least on the seams.
I bought my USIA waders for fishing and warm weather hunting. Mine are uninsulated boots. I like them but they sweat like mad—definitely not breathable. On the other hand they have not leaked in three years. They tend to make a little more noise walking than my neoprenes that I use in cold weather. Love that they are US made. I wore them on a 12 day float trip in Alaska and they did great

At work I am in waders at some point every week and put them through tests no wader was ever made to endure. (Wildlife biologist/property manager focused on waterfowl habitat) A couple of observations about waders I see is that high price doesn’t guarantee they’re going to last any longer than cheaper ones. I hate neoprene waders. Theyre waaaay to hot for being active. I end up sweating so much I’m almost just as wet on the inside as outside of the waders. And they’re also just not flexible enough. Having a size 13 foot most brands have the body to match and although I’m a big dude I don’t need waders with a freaking 56” chest. Being in Louisiana I don’t have to deal with the cold like people do up north so having ridiculous insulation just makes me sweat more. Even the handful of days each year we have have the water iced over the insulation isn’t necessary for me, just throw on an extra layer of pants. Busting through ice frequently is a real wader killer too! Glad I don’t have to do it much.

All that being said my favorite waders are Magellan brand Tred-Lite 400 Breathable Boot Foot Waders. 1) They’re cheap. About $140 a pair. Even if I spend 4 times that on waders they won’t last long enough to make it worth dropping more Benjamin’s. 2) When you do inevitably poke a hole or a seam starts to leak, they’re super easy to repair. As long as it’s not in the boot I can put a little silicon on the hole and tape both inside and out with gorilla tape and it holds perfectly. Holes through the boot pretty much ruin them, but hey, they aren’t expensive to replace. 3) they’re super flexible and aren’t a sauna inside. With temp swings from 20-75 degrees in a couple of days there’s no need to be committed to sub freezing waders all the time. And it’s also a lot easier getting around when you waders are as flexible as a pair of jeans. Anyway, good luck on your perfect waiter hunt, I don’t think they exist but depending on what you are looking for there are some dang good ones out there! And plenty 48B285CA-DB75-4442-B1AC-E054D774BFAF.jpegthat will make you wish you had really saved your money…

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back