Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

VX-5 Tracking Test

@MTLabrador I'll spot you a box of Cold Smokes if you do a box test at 400 and 500. Be interesting to see if the MOA dialed is true to how much the POI shifts.

@MTLabrador I'll spot you a box of Cold Smokes if you do a box test at 400 and 500. Be interesting to see if the MOA dialed is true to how much the POI shifts.
With a 1 MOA rig and shooter now randomly shooting 5" clusters plus wind variance, I wonder how many shots at each point in the test we would need to believe the results (unless they were way off of course - failure doesn't take many reps to show its head). Probably 10 minimum.

You are absolutely lying to yourself if you think you’re getting a “flyer” because of an ES of 20. A low ES is always a good goal to have but people get too wrapped up in it. There’s absolutely no way it would be the guy pulling the trigger...
If you don't think es has anything to do with bullet travel you are lying to yourself. You might as well buy factory ammo. BTW he said at least 20 es

Same bullet with 50fps difference.
Not a big difference up close like the op said but when he went to distance it was low. I was giving him reasons why it would be low. Then people trying to say this doesn't matter and that doesn't matter. They are right if you are shooting at 300 or less. You go out to 500 and beyond it makes a big difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-140326.png
    Screenshot_20200529-140326.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200529-140601.png
    Screenshot_20200529-140601.png
    633.3 KB · Views: 4
With a 1 MOA rig and shooter now randomly shooting 5" clusters plus wind variance, I wonder how many shots at each point in the test we would need to believe the results (unless they were way off of course - failure doesn't take many reps to show its head). Probably 10 minimum.
I'd do a five round group x 4, with about 6 MOA adjustment in each direction.

I never said it doesn’t have anything to do with the bullet path. And I have a feeling that guys that blame the ‘flyers’ at 100 yards on anything but themselves are more often than not lying to themselves.

What I’m saying is guys get wrapped up on ES and SD that probably shoot a few hundred rounds a year. In my opinion the human pulling the trigger is still the biggest variable when stretching things out. That’s why you see guys that can win matches and kill shit a long ways away that shoot factory ammo. If you give a decent shooter a box of ammo with an ES of 5 and a great shooter a box of ammo with an ES of 20, the great shooter is still going to walk all over him

I never said it doesn’t have anything to do with the bullet path. And I have a feeling that guys that blame the ‘flyers’ at 100 yards on anything but themselves are more often than not lying to themselves.

What I’m saying is guys get wrapped up on ES and SD that probably shoot a few hundred rounds a year. In my opinion the human pulling the trigger is still the biggest variable when stretching things out. That’s why you see guys that can win matches and kill shit a long ways away that shoot factory ammo. If you give a decent shooter a box of ammo with an ES of 5 and a great shooter a box of ammo with an ES of 20, the great shooter is still going to walk all over him
I totally agree that most accuracy problems are shooter. You still need to get as many other variables out of the equation.

I'd do a five round group x 4, with about 6 MOA adjustment in each direction.
If I get the time and a calm day I will give this a try with my VX6HD at our 600y line. Given my current state of busy this may take a while.

If you guys want to do a real tracking test, mount it to something solid on your bench and see how it tracks at 100 yards. Not shooting it but either draw out hash marks ona big piece of paper or buy a target that is meant for this. I’m sure we all have accurate rifles but I have a feeling none of us are good enough to run a good box test at 4-600 yards...

Something like this

I have seen some "user error" situations and also some "lemon" unit issues (where the unit needed replacing), but most seem to work very well. I would never go back - I especially hated my magnetospeed v3 for my use case. I hated the variable POI effect, I hated the damn thing loosening up through a string of shots. I went back to my old crappy optical chrono for a while before breaking down and buying a labradar. I know some love the magneto, just not me.

I've seen enough to know I don't want a Magneto speed, either.

Does the LabRadar send the data to your phone while you're shooting?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back