MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Vortex vs Leupold

Marshian

Im looking at getting a relatively low power (2-7) scope and am leaning towards a Leuppold VX-I or II vs a Vortex Diamondback or Viper. My price range is roughly $200-300. I have a VX I and also a VX II that I like a great deal, but variety is the spice of life and Vortex seems to have a lot of internet buzz especially in regards to bang for the buck. Anyone have any opinions? Thanks.

I'd keep an eye out for the newly released VX-1 as it's relatively equivalent to the older VX-II. A bit confusing, but get a hold of schmaltz and he'll get you set up. In the range of scopes your looking at, I would go Leupold and not look back.

Another option is the Redfield Revolution. It's made by Leupold and has the same warranty. They can be had right now for under $200.

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=71797

I have vortex spotting scope and binos and they are awesome. The warranty is unmatched in my opinion. They dont work and vortex will replace them, no cards to fill out and mail in if it has their name on it they stand behind it. I compared the clarity between vortex and others and to me vortex was clearer than the others. My next rifle scope will be from them as well.

One of my flip bino lense cap came off on a new mexico elk hunt this year. I called vortex to see how i could get another, they sent me a new set free within a couple days of calling them.

Last edited:
I finished a 4 gun set of Winchester 88s for a client a few months ago. He provided 2 scopes for each gun using QD mounts. The scopes were Vortex and and I'll say I was impressed by them. After sighting them in I ran the adjustments around the box and they stayed on the money. Clarity appeared on par with the Leupolds. I don't know how well they perform in low light but would like to hear comments.

Extreme Elk just did a review of binoculars and Vortex came out quite a bit ahead of Leupold. Granted we're not talking scopes but that says a lot about their optics.

I'll stay with Leupold and their dual dovetail mounting system. They have a long track record and back up their products as good or better than any manufacturer of any product! I have them on at least a half dozen rifles and have never had a problem needing attention, but if I did I'm sure the customer service would be as great as what I've heard..

Marshian, you can't really go wrong with the choices you're looking at, if you go Leupold check with Predator Optics (schmaltz) I had a great experience buying Leupold there. I've got numerous products from both Leupold and Vortex, but heavier towards Vortex of late and mainly in their Viper line. If you are looking to change things up, you can be confident trying the Vortex.

Is Leupold still made in the USA? From what i can find the goldring series is. I read vortex is made in Japan and Philippines if all things are equal go with the one made here and help some guys in Oregon feed their families .

They sure are and I just got a $10 rebate check for buying a new scope and it had a nice little note thanking me for buying a USA made product and supporting the American worker. I was just on their website and they currently are showing 10 open positions they are now hiring for with a number looking like some pretty well paying jobs if anyone reading this is looking for a job.

My new VX-1 4x12x40 is back at the factory getting repaired, after about 20 rounds zero started moving, blamed new .308 rifle at first, pulled scope, loctited base, rings ect, still moving, put bushnell 3x9 on rifle, now holding an inch at 100 now. my first leupold and probably my last.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll be taken care of properly! Thats the exact scope I just bought and it won't even be on my rifle and shot until Spring, so I hope to have different results than that. Mine is going on a .243 Sako. I wouldn't give up on them because their warranty is as good as you can get regardless of what you had happen.

I have had a leupold 4x12 x 40 on my 300 win mag for about 12 years I have fallen with it many more times than I care to remember and I have never had to adjust my zero despite a couple of pretty bad dings on my scope. At least you only have to send your scope back to oregon to get a factory repair.

I have {had} both, I now have no more loopys, I use Vortex, Zeiss, Minox and Clearidge scopes.

Vortex for price alone must be the best scope on the market, add outstanding optics and its a no brainer, the diamondback are simply outstanding value and the Viper range are scaring some of the big boys chitless.

For dialing on the longe range stuff I would still pick the Clearidge XP5 series its like having a Nightforce for a Tasco price. I love the Minox on my .260 as its a lightweight rifle and it suits perfectly, the Zeiss is a 2.5-8 on my 8x57 which I use in the close chit on Bush reds and Sambar in bad light it sucks in light like a black hole.

I tried a Vortex on my 7x57 and loved it so much I got another for my .22 magnum, just bought a 8-06 and swapping the barrel for a 280AI almost certainly a new Vortex will be going on that.

I understand that buying American made is a big thing for you guys but living in another country means I buy with a clean conscience.

Oh Yeah.......................................... GO THE PATS

Sounds like you're kind of set on those two brands, but if you're still looking around you should try to look through a Bushnell/Bausch and Lomb 3200. I have one and my brother has one, and they're a really nice scope for that price bracket. He bought his from a re-branding run and got it for dirt cheap, not sure if you can still find the cheap ones online or not.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back