Vortex Viper HD vs Diamondback Spotting scopes

dcamp

Hi guys,

I was wondering your thoughts on this. I am going to purchase a new spotting scope, but was wondering which one would you go with the Vortex Viper or Diamondback? Price is a thought, but if this is a 1 time buy then what would you do? I am going to be using it in NV for Elk hunting. An one with pro or cons would be helpful. thanks :)

I believe the Viper series glass is an upgrade over the Diamondback. That being the case I will always go with higher quality glass.

I believe the Viper series glass is an upgrade over the Diamondback. That being the case I will always go with higher quality glass.

Agreed. Mediocre quality glass can make a spotter pretty much useless.

I have a vortex viper hd 65 and a buddy of mine has the diamond back in 65. We used them side by side on a antelope hunt last year and the viper is way better. It is a lot clearer around the edges and over all clarity is better. Viper just feels better built. I had another coworker that bought his dad a 80 diamond back and was really disappointed wishes he would have either went with a different brand, bought a 65 viper for close to the same money or just forked out more for a 80 viper hd.

I have a vortex viper hd 65 and a buddy of mine has the diamond back in 65. We used them side by side on a antelope hunt last year and the viper is way better. It is a lot clearer around the edges and over all clarity is better. Viper just feels better built. I had another coworker that bought his dad a 80 diamond back and was really disappointed wishes he would have either went with a different brand, bought a 65 viper for close to the same money or just forked out more for a 80 viper hd.

When I compared the Viper HD to the Diamondback, that was my take away as well. I own the Viper.

Agree with all above posts, I own the Viper HD and have never wished I had bought a cheaper model.

I believe "you get what you pay for" applies to most things in life, It applies x2 for optics in general and 4x to spotters.

Buy the best that your budget will allow.

Just my honest opinion.

I've got a Leupold green ring spotter which is probably the equivalent of a vortex diamond back. Yeah, it's a little fuzzy at high magnification, but for the type of hunting I do and the number of days I spend in the field it works just fine. Maybe the diamond back is just what you need. Only you can decide if the better glass is a value to you.

I have the razor 11/33/50 = 699$, great glass small enough to have in your pack all the time!

This ^. I have the viper as well and wish I had just gone to the compact Razor HD model instead for size and weight. I would consider the diamondback spotter a range tool at best.

To each their own I guess.

I have no problem adding the extra weight to pack along my ATX 95. To me it is worth the extra weight when im trying to decide if an animal is worth humping it 3 ridges over to pursue an animal or not. Saves me lots of walking and time.

JMO but Vortex is overpriced. You don't always get what you pay for but can often pay too much for some things.

JMO but Vortex is overpriced. You don't always get what you pay for but can often pay too much for some things.

You can't make this comment without at least saying what is better that's cheaper IYO.... :) Soooo.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back