Vista Outdoor announces sale of sporting ammo divisions.

Dang.

With this acquisition Czechoslovak Group secures control of most global sports / hunting ammunition and a good share of military ammo as well. Just in March 2022, another major European group, Beretta, more focused on firearms, had acquired the Ammotec division of RUAG International, which specializes in ammunition manufacturing and owns prestigious brands such as RWS, Norma, Rottweil, MFS and GECO. CSG itself was also interested time ago in taking over Ammotec.

We are, in short, witnessing an unprecedented concentration in the global ammunition market, with Europe in a prominent position. In the United States, Browning-Winchester still retains strategic importance in both the civilian and military spheres.

I really dont like the idea of that much of our ammo manufacturing being controlled by foreign entities!

So they get Federal, CCI, and remington primer manufacturing? What do we have left, winchester and hornady (who I didn't know made primers until the explosion this week)?

Lake City was part of this until ATK split and spun off their sporting brands to become Vista Outdoor in 2015. Lake City stayed with Orbital ATK, ultimately becoming part of Northrup Grumman. Winchester is now the primary ammo contractor making LC stamped small arms ammo. Meaning that this sale does not off-shore US Military ammo manufacturing.

Lake City had a primer line explosion in 2017 that, eerily like Hornady, killed one worker.

I'm wondering if Alliant powder will keep its name since it is now twice removed from ATK. Lord knows it will be even harder to get now.

Freedom Munitions folks? mtmuley
That is another interesting story worthy of its own thread.

Freedom Munitions is part of Howell Munitions, Howell Manufacturing, etc.

David C Howell's corporation filed Chapter 11 in 2018. Now David C Howell has spent millions about 400 acres of land on the north side of Moscow Mountain in Latah County, ID. (My back yard). Not bad for a guy who is supposed to be broke. The included news article reads like a TV drama. Maybe the plot for a Yellowstone story arc.

I heard from someone close to this that Howell wants his own hunting reserve. He has broken ground on a mega lodge on one of the road front parcels. The big-ass fences are already up.

His holding ALMOST landlocked some of my favorite ground, but corporate timber land and State of Idaho land protect the access. He will have a hard time acquiring the corporate timber. Not all timber companies are unloading their land. I do expect to encounter a lot more SxS in there in the future after he and his cronies get established.

That is another interesting story worthy of its own thread.

Freedom Munitions is part of Howell Munitions, Howell Manufacturing, etc.

David C Howell's corporation filed Chapter 11 in 2018. Now David C Howell has spent millions about 400 acres of land on the north side of Moscow Mountain in Latah County, ID. (My back yard). Not bad for a guy who is supposed to be broke. The included news article reads like a TV drama. Maybe the plot for a Yellowstone story arc.

I heard from someone close to this that Howell wants his own hunting reserve. He has broken ground on a mega lodge on one of the road front parcels. The big-ass fences are already up.

His holding ALMOST landlocked some of my favorite ground, but corporate timber land and State of Idaho land protect the access. He will have a hard time acquiring the corporate timber. Not all timber companies are unloading their land. I do expect to encounter a lot more SxS in there in the future after he and his cronies get established.
Apparently the company was sold. I personally know the current owner. mtmuley

The writing was on the wall when they sold off all their firearms brands. Way to screw over your shareholders Vista.

From a share price perspective it's a bit more complicated than that. The Trump Slump was terrible for them, they sold the firearm business in 2019 and then had a nice bull run into the pandemic. Over the past 5 years they've still outperformed the Dow and S&P.

1000013041.png1000013040.png

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back