Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Vietnam

Have you even seen full metal jacket?
I will definitely say my apologies to my uncle’s silver star that I proudly keep since his passing. It’s amazing how much has changed in 50 years. And more so, how friendly Vietnamese are to Americans these days after we crapped all over them (north and south). Hell, we still hold a grudge against Cuba for god’s sake.

I will definitely say my apologies to my uncle’s silver star that I proudly keep since his passing. It’s amazing how much has changed in 50 years. And more so, how friendly Vietnamese are to Americans these days after we crapped all over them (north and south). Hell, we still hold a grudge against Cuba for god’s sake.
I gotta ask of all places how did you arrive at that destination for vacation or is it more involved than just a vacation maybe?

Going first-class or budget?

Quick Google search of “Vietnam Backpacker Hostels” looks like you could tour the country on the cheap. Like $7 US rent per night. Their hostels are probably pretty Spartan though?

Send photos. Following. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Going first-class or budget?

Quick Google search of “Vietnam Backpacker Hostels” looks like you could tour the country on the cheap. Like $7 US rent per night. Their hostels are probably pretty Spartan though?

Send photos. Following. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
My wife would do it - a hostel backpacker at heart. But i am too old for that sh$t, I want a little luxury at this point in the journey.

My wife would do it - a hostel backpacker at heart. But i am too old for that sh$t, I want a little luxury at this point in the journey.
I hear you.

Twenty-five years ago, I could handle the temporary commune living and noise of the hostel camps.

Oh, to be young again…

I’ve been there, but that was 20 years ago and I was on the hostel backpacker line. Not much help for you, other than the advice to get out of the resort and definitely eat the street food. It’s worth it.

Mrs. VG and I will find ourselves in Vietnam next March (and kid free for the first time in decades). Any HTers have any experience with resorts in Vietnam? Recommendations?
It's been fifty-three years, but the surreal trip to Dalat was a treat during my tours to Vietnam. Dalat was a strikingly different place that seemed like a wonderful escape. 'Don't know if you recall my story of Shorty the Nun, one of the Catholic nuns I flew to Dalat, but the trip included a wonderful meal at a Franciscan school. The city was beautiful then and likely still is. The Montagnard people were fascinating and the terraced food plots were gorgeous. Anyhow, I would recommend a visit to that place. (If you go there, I would greatly appreciate a report with a few photos.)

Hey Vikings guy, The wife and I went to Vietnam a few years back and it was a great trip. We had a great trip and I would highly recommend any one going. We flew into Hanoi and flew home from Ho Chi Minh City. We spent about 10 days staying a few days in each place. I would highly recommend stopping in Hoi An, a town near the beach that is known for its great tailors and shoe makers. We also really enjoyed a 2 day boat trip in Ha long Bay. It has been sometime since we were there and I would go back anytime. We found very nice places to stay for less than $50 a night. Here are some photos:

1685747386463.png1685747470545.png1685747489680.png1685747505772.png

I’ve been there, but that was 20 years ago and I was on the hostel backpacker line. Not much help for you, other than the advice to get out of the resort and definitely eat the street food. It’s worth it.
Definitely street food - no better way to bring home a tape worm as a pet ;) But seriously- eating local is about the only good thing on some of these far flung business trips.

Should be a fun trip. Fly business class for almost free using credit card sign on bonuses and transferring the points to an airline like Singapore, ANA, Cathy Pacific, etc. I booked a round trip to a country near Vietnam for my son later this year in lie flat business class for < $40 in taxes using some credit card sign up points. Ticket was in excess of $6k otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back