Video Editor / Movie Maker?

Sytes

Basic activity... Want to put my videos together though a favorite tool for my use was the Fade in/out while introducing a new clip at the end of another. Windows Movie Maker was a very simple, user friendly video editor however the new Windows 10 Photo video editor no longer has several of the earlier functions such as stabilize shaking videos, auto light adjustment / fish eye, etc, and the fade in/out. AND, Windows no longer has their earlier available for download and warn to avoid downloading from sites that say it is still available for download.

What video editor / Movie Maker do you use?

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-video-editing-software

I reviewed a few articles (this one I favored) and don't really want to pay bucko $$$ for basic video editing however, seems to get the few features from early Windows Movie Maker, it appears this is the future.

Looking at Corel Ultimate and Power Director though again, seems I have to buy into serious components just to gain the few basics I enjoyed...

I use iMovie on my iphone. I use the free version. I am no movie maker but it is very simple to use and if you can’t figure it out YouTube has videos to answer all your questions.

Yes... YouTube is my usual answer and watched a couple reviews. Apple imovie has good reviews for those in the Apple world.

Openshot and Shotcut have great reviews for opensource (and free) video editing. Anyone have thoughts for these? I'll look to see if there is a download for "Splice App" - My use would be on my laptop - integrating gopro and phone videos, etc. and the nice sized screen to work with.

I use the free version of VSDC. Just a couple of things I want from the premium version but not enough for the price.

I know Gerald runs professional video so if I go the $ route that will likely be my choice.
I DL'd the Shotcut video editor via Microsoft Store (bit of gratuity to the designers).
I have more youtube to watch to learn the, how to and having a bit of trouble off the bat. The videos are choppy when opened via Shotcut though work smooth on simple windows video to watch. Also the audio stutters as well..
Looking for a method to open the videos at matching speed w/ original.

I know Gerald runs professional video so if I go the $ route that will likely be my choice.
I DL'd the Shotcut video editor via Microsoft Store (bit of gratuity to the designers).
I have more youtube to watch to learn the, how to and having a bit of trouble off the bat. The videos are choppy when opened via Shotcut though work smooth on simple windows video to watch. Also the audio stutters as well..
Looking for a method to open the videos at matching speed w/ original.
This might be a computer issue. Try closing any other open programs that you don't need. See if you can clean up some of your files on your hard drive (many video editing programs liberally use free space on your hard drive for temporary playback previews and not having enough space can slow them down). Making sure your video drivers and directx are up to date can help sometimes as well.

If you aren't already, copy the files you are using from your memory card to the hard drive, and work off the copy on your hard drive.

What resolution is the video you are working on? Most recent computers should be able to handle HD video, but may struggle with 4k.

If you are on a desktop you can look at adding some RAM or a low/mid-range video card. (Some video editing software can offload processing from your CPU to the video card.)

I use final cut pro. I am not the most technologically savvy but I do find it relatively simple to use. I've been using it for videos like you mentioned for about 8 years.

I feel you, man. I used to love Windows Movie Maker back in the day. Though I will say I think it depends little bit on your platform. I have a Mac Book and iMovie is great. But, I've also used Power Director and Lightworks. I prefer to use iMovie because it's free and I've gotten to know my way around the program, but I don't think you can go wrong with most of the programs mentioned in this thread.

It worked good for OpenShot however, that program's missing a couple valuable simple tools I had w/ old version windows movie maker.

I tried ShotCut following a few tips from the all knowing YouTube, "how to"...
Cleared my cache, moved my video clips to a detachable hard drive along with tips from @Cornell2012 .

The second sea lion clip flubbed a bit, it seems, otherwise (highly likely my error) it turned out pretty well.

Thanks all for your input. Hopefully the various posts will assist others as well.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back