Versatile Muzzeloader

TheHeadTurkey

Is there such thing as a muzzleloader that can be good for pronghorn, mule deer, and elk? I know basically nothing about muzzleloaders.

Yes, any .50 muzzleloader would fit your description. Nuances in the bullet selection, but the gun is pretty standard in muzzleloader hunting as compared to rifles.

If a guy wanted to get an affordable muzzleloader and be able to hunt those three things, a CVA Wolf would be a good place to start.

*also- there is a specific muzzleloader thread a few down from this one.

Last edited:
That would all depend on the state you are looking at. I have a .50 caliber knight disk extreme and I am in the process of a custom .45 caliber muzzleloader build through arrowhead rifles. I would get a .45 caliber (knight ultra-lite) if you are going to stay away from CO. You could by a nice Knight .50 caliber and by a .45 caliber Knight barreled action and have everything covered. JMO

Before you put down hard earned money check the reg's in the state/states your planning on hunting. There are different requirements that need to be met.

Is there such thing as a muzzleloader that can be good for pronghorn, mule deer, and elk? I know basically nothing about muzzleloaders.
Absolutely. But you might defer to a .54 so as to allow roundballs for elk in Colorado. Watch your state regulations for caliber/ammo restrictions.

If you buy a smooth bore, you could load for birds too.

I run a tc triumph. Scoped I have taken whitetails in Michigan and black bear in canada with barnes bullets. Took the scope off switched to Thor bullets and taken an elk in colorado.

Check your state regs for equipment requirements. They can vary wildly. That being said I recently bought a CVA optima vs. Really happy with it. Good design, great trigger.

Back