Venison Stock

Biggest decision I have to make now is whether I want a stock or consumé.

Picked up a pack of a dozen Quart wide-mouth jars with lids for only $12 at Tractor Supply a couple days ago.
Original plan was to 3/4 fill the jars, let cool and then freeze. (Read: too poor for pressure canner).

Biggest decision I have to make now is whether I want a stock or consumé.

Picked up a pack of a dozen Quart wide-mouth jars with lids for only $12 at Tractor Supply a couple days ago.
Original plan was to 3/4 fill the jars, let cool and then freeze. (Read: too poor for pressure canner).
I've never done stock. Can you not just process the hard in water like veggies?

I freeze all my stock as well and works great. Few key things I've learn. One as already mentioned is to smash your bones so the marrow gets out. Second is to keep smashing your veggies as they cook. When your done, there won't be any resemblance of veggies left. Just bones and pieces of meat. Third and finally is we filter it two times for ease. Do this while it's still boiling hot. First just a typical strainer to get big chunks, then thru cheesecloth.

One last tip, save all your veggie cuts from cooking year long. Ends and leaves of celery. Onion core and outside skin. Ends of carrots. Keep a gallon bag in freezer and keep adding to it. Once we get 2 gallon bags full, it's time to pull out some bones and make a 2 gallon batch
Good idea

We keep all our onion and garlic skins to make powder

Pics of finished stock, pre/post strain?
How long boiling? What’s the benefit of baking the bones prior to the whole boil? I’ve never even read about or attempted this and it sounds so savory I HAVE to try it. lol

Pics of finished stock, pre/post strain?
How long boiling? What’s the benefit of baking the bones prior to the whole boil? I’ve never even read about or attempted this and it sounds so savory I HAVE to try it. lol
You broil them for a bit because it will add a good "roasted" flavor to it. We do ours on low broil for 15 mins. Gets the meat crispy, close to burnt but not quite.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back