Venison sirloin recipe?

FranklinME

I bought two new chest freezers and switched everything out of the old ones yesterday. I usually take these "football" roasts to the Deli along with all the other chunk meat for sausage. I was just looking at recipes and wonder if anyone has a good recipe other than crockpot or slow smoking. Just not sure what would work and if its worth trimming all that connective tissue. Any thoughts? I have 8 roasts and interested in trying something else. Thanks.

1 TB curing salt, per pound
1/2 TB Pickling spice,per pound from the bulk section of your local store.
Some Juniper berries, if you can find them.
Heat with enough water to cover roast, to get it all dissolved, Cool.

Cover roast with liquids and spices put in fridge for a week, or two, depends on if I forget it or not.

Rinse off, Cover in ground pepper(not to exclude some fresh rosemary, or thyme, or both) smoke, or roast it, to med rare. Slice Deli thin, or whatever works. TADA

I like to grill the entire sirloin basting with garlic butter and rosemary. Take the internal temperature to 130 and remove from the grill to rest for ten minutes. Slice thin and sprinkle with kosher salt. Mmmm.

Thanks but this is what I don't get. None of these recipes addresses all the silver skin and connective tissue.if you make steak or lunch meat and cook it rare is has t
All that in each slice or steak?

I just cut steaks perpendicular to the direction of the connective tissue and grill like any other piece of wild game. Either eat the connective tissue or can cut around it after its grilled.

Had to look it up to make sure I was thinking of the right cut, and now I'm a little confused--the venison sirloin tip appears to come from the hindquarter, whereas pork sirloin comes from the back end of the backstrap (loin). I guess pork sirloin tip must just usually stay in the hams? Any butchers here that can confirm that?

As far as the sirloin "football" roast as you called it, I've had good luck as mentioned by choc dogs slicing for lunch meat, although going to have to try that recipe, looks good. That's what I usually do with them, this year we did one off an elk for Christmas roast and it was awesome. I've done it just with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder all over the outside, sear and roast and slice thin, the connective tissue has never been an issue, might have to trim a little out after you slice here and there if your picky. I trim some of the skin off the outside but seems like usually it's easier to deal with once it's cooked and less waste that way.

1620601012960.png

1620601047895.png

Last edited:
Had to look it up to make sure I was thinking of the right cut, and now I'm a little confused--the venison sirloin tip appears to come from the hindquarter, whereas pork sirloin comes from the back end of the backstrap (loin). I guess pork sirloin tip must just usually stay in the hams? Any butchers here that can confirm that?

As far as the sirloin "football" roast as you called it, I've had good luck as mentioned by choc dogs slicing for lunch meat, although going to have to try that recipe, looks good. That's what I usually do with them, this year we did one off an elk for Christmas roast and it was awesome. I've done it just with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder all over the outside, sear and roast and slice thin, the connective tissue has never been an issue, might have to trim a little out after you slice here and there if your picky. I trim some of the skin off the outside but seems like usually it's easier to deal with once it's cooked and less waste that way.

View attachment 182845

View attachment 182846
Good photo of the different cuts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back