Venison back strap recipe?

pointingdogsrule

so I usually cut my back straps 1 1/2 inch thick and fry in a pan with bacon and onion. While out in Nebraska I shot a deer smaller than we judged. Yes a yearling. Instead of cutting these small back straps up, I was wondering about grilling them on my pellet grill. Grill the entire back straps whole. They aren't very thick.

Any good ideas or recipes out there? TIA
Wrapped in bacon?
Any marinade?20201030_124103.jpg

i often do all my back straps the same way generally, especially since getting a pellet grill

i season with garlic salt, chile powder, cayenne, and black pepper usually the day before and put it in the fridge overnight, covered

kick on the pellet grill to about 185-190 and put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat

smoke until internal temp of about 110, remove from grill and let rest a minimum of 10 minutes covered

heat up a cast iron to about 500-550 degrees, add avocado oil or butter, preferably butter

sear for about a minute each side, even less for smaller back strap

should result in a perfect rare if done carefully

i have pics of this process with a smaller mule deer roast, same process only smoking and searing time are increased

IMG-6022.jpg61577719185--41EDDC2A-B4E2-43D1-B850-845741A2A4C1.JPGIMG-6027.jpg

in my experience dryness of really any piece of meat has more to do with doneness than anything else, especially wild game

don't overcook and it shouldn't be dry. searing in a butter bath also really gives it a juiciness effect

you could also tie them with twine into a larger pseudo roast and do any grilling or smoking methods you prefer

i often do all my back straps the same way generally, especially since getting a pellet grill

i season with garlic salt, chile powder, cayenne, and black pepper usually the day before and put it in the fridge overnight, covered

kick on the pellet grill to about 185-190 and put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat

smoke until internal temp of about 110, remove from grill and let rest a minimum of 10 minutes covered

heat up a cast iron to about 500-550 degrees, add avocado oil or butter, preferably butter

i have pics of this process with a smaller mule deer roast, same process only smoking and searing time are increased
Any recipe where they come out looking like @TOGIE 's will be just fine.

I just did ~1/3 of one a few weeks ago - skipped the smoke part but dry rubbed it with this stuff (which I got for my birthday and have been using on lots of pork and birds) & it got rave reviews from the not-game-eaters crowd: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/beautiful-briny-sea-magic-unicorn-salt/

Let the meat sit out for one hour to come to temp. Grill on direct heat around 400 degrees for one minute. Flip and grill for another minute. Place on indirect heat at the same temp for 1.5 min and then flip and do the same. This is perfect for rare if it’s not a thin piece. About another 30 seconds to a minute on each side on Indirect heat for med rare. We cut our steaks about 2” long. Seasoned with your favorite steak seasoning or marinated(McCormick grill mate marinade packets are tuff to beat). Let sit 5 minutes before cutting.

View attachment 160132View attachment 160133View attachment 160134

Backstrap "strips" flattened out with a measuring cup then stuffed with cream cheese, a slice of jalapeño, and all wrapped in bacon. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes.

I really enjoy this one:

I’ve tried it with antelope, deer, and elk - they all taste fantastic! A more simple recipe I like is some garlic salt and rosemary mixed with olive oil. Let it marinate for a couple hours prior to cooking.
Same. Anything he does is always great! I either use this one or a simpler one is garlic salt and coarse ground pepper with whole backstrap seared then slow cooked til medium rare and sliced into whatever size you like.

I rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and set on the counter for 20 minutes. Cook until the thermometer hits 130 to 135 on my Green Mountain set at 500. Probably 8 to 10 minutes with something that sized. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Cooks very evenly on the pellets.

Chef by trade two cents:

Reverse sear for that deer.

Searing in the pan first and finishing in the oven is a great method but it leaves quite a gradient of doneness (preferred doneness in center getting to well done towards outside) While I personally like it that way with beef, I prefer my venison to have a nice even doneness all the way through. I highly recommend the following method.

Season your meat. Place in 275 degree oven until you hit an internal temp of 119.

Pull and hard sear then throw a clove of crushed garlic a sprig of thyme and a knob of good butter and baste. Rest slice serve (red wine chocolate sauce is fantastic).

I like to put the steak in a ziploc bag with some olive oil and soy sauce, and whatever seasoning you want with it. Toss a spoonful of minced garlic in as well. Close bag and toss/mix thoroughly. Go start your grill. Mine is propane, it doesn't take too long to heat up. Open a beer. Once the grill is heated, put the steaks on. I normally don't marinade them longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Grill the steaks to medium rare. All grills are different, but I grill my meat on high or just under high, for not very long. Take it off and let it sit for a few minutes, or just eat it. There will be a considerable amount of blood/juices on the plate as the steaks sit there. Good for dipping the meat into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back