Blue Cheese, Bacon Wrapped Deer Medallions

Hunt_fish_Family

Big Fin was extremely good to us here at Dog Day Spice Rub with such and honest and raw posting/review awhile back (Geezer Cleans His Freezer). I thought I would return the favor and throw in some recipe ideas for you all now that the season is under way.

Even though the recipes call for our spice rubs you can certainly use any spice you have available. I will post several in the coming weeks and the one thing you will notice is they are easy and everyone can follow them, even the kiddos. Our focus is on everyday cooking for hard working people. I am not a chef but sometimes I have the time for an elaborate meal on a weekend but I think the majority of us thaw something out the night before, maybe season it in the morning and then cook when we get home from work, scouts, sports or whatever crazy schedule we have. Enjoy and feel free to contact us with any suggestions or ideas!!!

Blue Cheese, Bacon Wrapped Deer Medallions

Ingredients:
8 deer back strap Medallions cut 1 ½ inches thick
8 pieces of thick cut peppered bacon
8 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, room temperature
3 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
Dog Day Spice Rub 3 Knucklehead Rub or your favorite steak seasoning
Tooth picks that have been soaked in water for 10 minutes

Prepare the deer medallions by removing all silver skin. Lay each of the 8 medallions flat on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife cut a small pocket into the medallion without cutting all the way through, similar to a Pita Pocket. Mix the blue cheese with the Panko to make a paste. Stuff about 1 tbsp of blue cheese paste into each of the 8 medallions. Use one piece of bacon per medallion and wrap around the edge, covering the slit in the meat with the center of the bacon piece. Use a tooth pick to secure the bacon to the meat. Season each medallion on both sides with your choice of seasoning (obviously I favor the 3 Knucklehead Rub!).

Prepare a hot charcoal BBQ or a gas grill on high. With each medallion, set bacon side down on the grill for about 15 seconds then roll the medallion every 15 seconds until all sides are slightly cooked then set aside. Once all 8 medallions are slightly cooked return all 8 to the grill and cook on one side 3 minutes then flip, cooking the opposite side another 3 minutes and remove from the grill and enjoy! If you prefer a more well done medallion leave on the heat for a couple more minutes on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_19912272423198.jpeg
    IMG_19912272423198.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 187

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back