Velvet Mule Deer

TrumpkinTheDwarf

My body is in Texas, but home is Big Sky Country
Pictures? Stories? I'll take whatever ya got! It's 65 days till I point the truck towards CO again, and I'm getting antsy! And since it's better to give than receive, I'll throw some photos in from my last trip.

Believe it or not, i managed to miss both of these bucks on different days in 2019. It's hard to shoot past 20 yards with a recurve.

IMG_1468_resized.jpg
This guy got saved by a loose rock. I had a cover to get to 10 yards!
IMG_1462.JPG

I'll have to find more photos. This is all I have saved and handy right now.

First day of an archery elk hunt and guess what I run into.

Edit: I guess I can ad a bit of the story.

Labor day 2018. My old man and I were getting ready to head out for our annual week long archery elk trip that morning. Just for the heck of it, before we left town I wanted to run up and check a spot for bulls with my brother. Almost didn't even bring my bow. We ran into a few smaller bulls but nothing terribly exciting. I was sitting behind a bush cow calling to a raghorn when I heard something to my right. I peaked up and saw antlers. I sat back down. "WTH...that wasn't a bull...." This buck was walking right towards me. Sitting down I nocked an arrow and drew. Stood up and whammo. Dropped him. I think it was 20 seconds from when I first saw him to when he hit the ground. Got him back to the house fairly quickly and dropped the head and hide off at the taxidermist on the way out of town for our elk trip. Pretty sweet little unexpected bonus.

Attachments

• 974EFCA8-BF07-4CCB-A98B-E4B5727EF071.jpeg
    974EFCA8-BF07-4CCB-A98B-E4B5727EF071.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back