Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Velvet moose Idaho solo hunt

elker

Moose in velvet I got yesterday in Idaho. Solo river boat hunt with a 50 cal muzzle-loader at 70 yards shooting from the boat. Followup shot put him down by the river's edge. Not the biggest moose, although I'm 64 yo and wanted one I could handle with a short pack into the boat. Was able to get back to the dock at 11:00 pm. Quite a ride a couple of miles downriver with headlamp and a flashlight with a load of moose. Cow moose is one I saw earlier from the shore. Didn't know if she had a calf nearby and tried to keep my distance. 1599873710378.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_150822053.jpg
    IMG_20200909_150822053.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200909_163128596.jpg
    IMG_20200909_163128596.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20200910_114930576.jpg
    IMG_20200910_114930576.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20200910_171553404.jpg
    IMG_20200910_171553404.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Moose in velvet I got yesterday in Idaho. Solo river boat hunt with a 50 cal muzzle-loader at 70 yards shooting from the boat. Followup shot put him down by the river's edge. Not the biggest moose, although I'm 64 yo and wanted one I could handle with a short pack into the boat. Was able to get back to the dock at 11:00 pm. Quite a ride a couple of miles downriver with headlamp and a flashlight with a load of moose. Cow moose is one I saw earlier from the shore. Didn't know if she had a calf nearby and tried to keep my distance. View attachment 153703
Unless the laws have changed?? I hope that you just miss represented "Shooting from your motorized boat"!

If you did shoot from your boat?? I would be calling your local warden immediately....before he/she shows up at your door!
Where did you come from? Maybe investigate more, become more knowledgeable about the regulations before shouting out to people who post here. I'm waiting for the Conservation Officer now, I'm sure he'll be knocking on my door soon. I'm a handicapped hunter and have a permit to hunt from a vehicle. I have cancer, not in remission, degenerative bone disease, recent shoulder surgery, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. I never had a F & G violation in life. I still enjoy the hunting years I have left.

Last edited:
@elker, I am from Montana...I asked you if the laws have changed! As far as I know, shooting from a motorized boat is no different than shooting from your truck window....and that is a violation! So, if you did indeed shoot from your boat "AND" the law has not changed....you are in violation of the law!

View attachment 153745

View attachment 153744
Not trying to be a "JERK"!!

Good Luck with the warden.....

You sure come off as one. Call the warden immediately, saying I broke game laws. As far as I know the laws haven't changed, a handicapped hunter can shoot from a vehicle. I've already checked the moose with the F & G as required. Maybe be more inquisitive and question 1st, instead of implying I violated game laws.

Last edited:
Where did you come from? Maybe investigate more, become more knowledgeable about the regulations before shouting out to people who post here. I'm waiting for the Conservation Officer now, I'm sure he'll be knocking on my door soon. Besides that I'm a handicapped hunter and have a permit to hunt from a vehicle. I have cancer, not in remission, degenerative bone disease, recent shoulder surgery, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. I never had a F & G violation in life. I still enjoy the hunting years I have left.
@elker,,,,,Sorry to hear about your health issues, cancer is a real bitch. The description of your health is exactly what the handicapped hunter vehicle permit was implemented for. Now that I know that you are a permitted vehicle hunter, Congrats on the moose, well done!! Dealing with a moose in the river is a real challenge for the healthy. Can't imagine what it was like for you!

Last edited:
Congrats to you on a fine moose and a great usage of your permit. Pray for your healing and much enjoyment of that meat for you and yours!!!!

Where did you come from? Maybe investigate more, become more knowledgeable about the regulations before shouting out to people who post here. I'm waiting for the Conservation Officer now, I'm sure he'll be knocking on my door soon. I'm a handicapped hunter and have a permit to hunt from a vehicle. I have cancer, not in remission, degenerative bone disease, recent shoulder surgery, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. I never had a F & G violation in life. I still enjoy the hunting years I have left.
That extra bit of information is pretty helpful aaaand pretty darn amazing. Grats on a great hunt.

edit: I meant to ask... how was the fishing? :)

Fishing was a little slow, usually there's some big browns showing themselves, had a couple on but lost em. Just got back from the Kenai Peninsula last week and caught a bunch of salmon there. Snagging silvers was a blast in Seward,

Last edited:
You sure come off as one. Call the warden immediately, saying I broke game laws. As far as I know the laws haven't changed, a handicapped hunter can shoot from a vehicle. I've already checked the moose with the F & G as required. Maybe be more inquisitive and question 1st, instead of implying I violated game laws.
@elker,,,again, congrats on taking a real nice bull! If you had included your handicapped permit info in your original post, you would of received a big congrats from me in my post. I'm the type of fella that sees zero gray area when it come to game laws. With that, I recommended that you call the warden before they saw your post and came knocking on your door! I was truly not trying to be a "Jerk".

@elker,,,again, congrats on taking a real nice bull! If you had included your handicapped permit info in your original post, you would of received a big congrats from me in my post. I'm the type of fella that sees zero gray area when it come to game laws. With that, I recommended that you call the warden before they saw your post and came knocking on your door! I was truly not trying to be a "Jerk".
Mtnhunter1, it's cool, I don't like publicizing that I'm a handicapped hunter, a pm would have been better, saying I should check the game laws on that because it could be a violation. You seem knowledgeable on the laws, and the handicapped regulations with knowing that could be an exception. I tried to show the tag in a picture, which was immediately attached and it was legal, BLM land, even below the high water mark. Cancer is a real bitch, for me, doing this by myself, having the equipment needed, tarps, pulleys, game bags, knives, reciprocating saw etc. was an quite an accomplishment. Really sore the next day, but I wouldn't have applied for this hunt not knowing what is involved for going at it solo. Usually process the meat myself, although with the warm temps here, took it to a processor the next morning and had the F & G check it out. i had arrangements made to help retrieve with friends if necessary. Practiced with the ML and had backup in case. I refuse to hunt with anyone that violates game laws and do my best to know them, question the Conservation Officers when in doubt.

Last edited:
@elker congrats! I admire you for taking this on by yourself and for also being the kind of guy not to talk about your physical limitations and just go get stuff done. Much respect! I’d rather be a guy like you than be the type who gets on public forums and checks to make sure no one is violating laws and then publicly blasts people for violating their no gray area policy. For what it’s worth I hope you stick around and don’t let those folks run you off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back