Vehicle Theft Registration Fees

idnative1948

FYI

In the midst of buying a used truck yesterday I noticed that a vehicle theft registration fee was tacked onto the final price we agreed upon. Was ready to walk until they removed it. I checked the web and it seems to be normal practice at dealerships to stick you for another 2-3 hundred bucks. If you're buying just make sure you read EVERY line item.

That's for sure, the last vehicle I bought they had a $150 tacked on for administrative fees. I said no way and they removed it.

That just the auto registration or was it the *add-on* for the theft registration which is basically an insurance (possibly). According to the int-a-net if the glass in your vehicle is acid etched (if really done at all) by a the dealer that they add it on. Damn I could do it myself for $15! Y'all just make sure to look down the page on what you have decided on for price. It is added on after that figure. Sorry for the rant. Just didn't need to go through when we thought it was a done deal right at the end.

I just paid $381 @#$@#$#$ dollars for a 2013 Mazda CX-9 registration. Minnesota libs can eat me.

Emrah

If you Google it you will find out that it is a dealer add on for new/used vehicles if you let them get away with it (has to do with acid etching all glass on the vehicle) and as I said they may try to tack it on to the price you agreed on. We got hit with it when we went to the finance guy to sign the papers (and was a cash purchase). Major ... storm from our end.

...from the movie Used Cars .

Rudy: Charlie, I broke my back getting you this deal. You know that...
Charlie: Fifty bucks never killed anybody.
Rudy: [pressing] You're not going to find another deal like this anywhere in town.
Charlie: Fifty bucks never killed anybody.
Rudy: [pleading] We shook hands on this... a deal's a deal.
Charlie: Fifty bucks never...
Rudy: [throws up his hands in mock disgust] Okay Charlie, you got it, you win - I'll see what I can do... But I'm telling ya, my boss sees these figures, he's going to have a stroke.
[exits]
Charlie: [scoffs] What's he trying to pull? Fifty bucks never killed anybody.
Charlie: [Luke bursts in, red face and clutching his chest - Charlie panics] Okay, it's a deal, it's a deal! I'll sign! I'll sign!

As someone who has both sold cars and financed them, Never, ever trust the F&I manager. They make their commission off of the add-on sales, on top of the % of the finance rate. Always arrange your own financing from a bank or credit union and never use dealer financing, or even bank financing arranged by the F&I guy. If your rate on the loan arranged through the dealership is say 10%, the dealership is making 2% of that rate for financing through the lender. Of that amount, the F&I guy is making as much as 30% commission on the rate kickback, plus as much as 75% on items such as interior treatments, undercoating, finish protection, extended warranties, and any other after market add-ons. The salesman you deal with is usually making about 7% on used vehicles and 5% on new ones. So, in the end, the F&I manager makes more off of the sale than the guy you dealt with to purchase the vehicle in the first place. Also, when they show you the invoice, know that whenever a dealership orders vehicles from the factory, they also order the invoices, which may show inflated costs, rather than the,actual amount the dealer paid for the vehicle. Used vehicles will always indicate a dealer cost of at least 25-30% more than actual investment. Another thing to pay attention to is trade-in value shown on paper if you are making a trade. Consider that the vehicle you are purchasing has been negotiated to a satisfactory price, and then your trade is calculated showing what your actual selling price is prior to any add-ons. You can automatically assume that the value of your trade on paper is inflated to make you feel good and to claim to the lender that you have a much higher investment in the down payment than is factual. In reality, you may actually be giving the dealership your trade and not receiving a penny for it.

In other words, do your homework, know exactly what your trade is worth, know what the average selling price of the vehicle you plan to buy is in your geographical area, and get a loan commitment from your own lender before ever setting foot on the dealer's lot. Then never agree to an amount higher than your lender has authorized and if they give you any hassles, don't be afraid to get up and walk out the door! Odds are you won't make it outside before the F&I manager has agreed to and met your conditions. Like I stated at the beginning, I've been on both sides of the table and have never paid anything near what the dealer wanted or what the F&I manager came up with.

Last edited:
On the off-chance that you actually want any of this stuff such as acid etching of windows (AKA theft registration), they will negotiate since their cost is close to zero. When I bought my 4runner, after the "negotiations", they brought me into the finance guy's office - one of the items they were promoting was LoJack, which was listed at $600. I figured I would be carrying comprehensive, but that maybe the Lojack would save some aggravation in case of theft - I did a quick calculation and came up with a value of $300 to me. They settled for $350

FYI

In the midst of buying a used truck yesterday I noticed that a vehicle theft registration fee was tacked onto the final price we agreed upon. Was ready to walk until they removed it. I checked the web and it seems to be normal practice at dealerships to stick you for another 2-3 hundred bucks. If you're buying just make sure you read EVERY line item.

Larry, your drunk butt park another bus on your front yard? :p Just kidding. Glad those meds I took then are a thing of the past... (That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it! ) I think I made that more a joke than the joke itself. :D

Good info on the sly little pluggin charges to be aware.Thanks.

Last edited:
Another thing is to remind them is that social media is your friend. They WILL back peddle fast. I have worked too frigging hard for my money, as do you. Sorry, but some of them are dirt bags.The info rthomas posted is spot on! Also, sounds dumb to some, but take a calculator with you. They will shine you on to keep you in conversation and all you hear is the mmmmmmmm and then boom! I just signed for what? Okay guy, we need to back up.

Back