Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Varmint Scope Needed

QuikSpin

Fellas,

I just picked up a new .223 Remington that needs a scope. I've got a little credit at Cabela's and was wondering what scope would be best suited. This gun will be used mostly for hunting coyotes, prarie dogs, and paper shooting out to about 300 yards. I know that "you get what you pay for", but I really don't want to drop $500+ on a new scope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Shoot straight,

QS

It's a good looking gun too.... My Gee'raff is standing in front of it protecting it right now :)

gun.jpg

QuikSpin-
I got a bunch of Nikon Monarchs 5-20x44, 4-16x50, etc, newest models with side focus and couple choices in reticles including the BDC. Also have some Leupold VX-II and V-III in Varmint Powers.

All are new in box, satisfaction guaranteed or money back

Just checked Cabelas prices and I can beat them by over $100 on all of these.

Let me know if interested and I can pm you some prices

ERSS,

Thanks for the offer. I will take a look at those scopes and let you know.... I keep hearing people say that the scope is probably more important than the gun, so it doesn't seem to make any sense to go cheap.

Not sure how to pm another poster, but since I work with Moosie I'll bet he'll let me know how to do it.

Shoot straight,

QS

Click on the persons name (the bold one on the top of their post) and go to the 2nd option "Send a Private Message to ???????" and then type away !!!!

If you need further help, I'll be in early on tuesday, like ....9:30AM or so :D :D

For shooting out to 300 yards...you dont need a varmint or target type scope. A plain jane 3-9 leupold will be all you need.

IMO, even a straight 8 or 10 power scope on a varmint rifle is pretty practical.

I have a 4-12 leupold on my varmint rifle...a model 70 varminter...and I have it set on 8 power 90% of the time. If I have it set on something other than 8...its usually 4-6 if I'm calling where shots are going to be inside 200 yards.

I think people way over-due it with scope power. JMO.

I agree with Buzz

I assume you are calling, so if you are and you are doing it correctly then most of your shots are going to be around 100 yards or below.

About the only time I take shots at coyotes over 200 yards is if I see em while driving and pile out to take a poke at em.

Like Buzz said,get a good quality variable and press on. The ability to pick good stands and sit still counts for more than gear

I'd use completely different scopes for called coyotes versus other varmints. I like the higher powers for target shooting, ground squirrels and prairie dogs. I am just getting started in the calling game and use a 1.75 to 5 or 3 to 9 scope set low as I'm often shooting at a moving dog..... ;)

Spend as much as you can afford on quality not on magnifacation. Unless you have vision problems 12x will provide all the power that a .223 can use on things as small as gophers. Nore power is nice at times but spending an afternoon glassing for pasture poodles at 15x or more might leave you a bit eyestrained.
I seem to recall buying from ERSS before, he'll treat you OK.

i recall one time as a kid i was in a soda parlor and my grand pappy asked me if I wanted a soda. In reality I only wanted that cute little boy in the corner but I conceeded and took grand pappy up on the soda. As i drank it all I was looking through the now empty glass bottle and I realize. Good glass is worth it. I could clearly see the boy in the corner through the quality glass. Man did my heart race. I would compare it to seeing a nice buck deer or even a big bear but I don't hunt. I just know everything on rifles and glass.

So the moral of the story is, if you have good glass the trophy of your lifetime might not get away. I know my sure did and he later became a big time movie star. His name is Mark Walhberg. The little boy I peered at through the empty glass. Marky Mark! Man were those the days. Snake River Rufus signing out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back