MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Vanish and FireTiger's 2020 Journal

We arrived early enough on Thursday for an evening hunt. I had suggested we try driving a piece of public we don't usually hunt, but we determined we were not quite early enough to do both that and hunt our usual location.

We came across this little guy on our way in. He was very annoyed with our presence.

uc

( Central Plains Milk Snake )

There was one truck parked at the lot when we pulled up. Just as we reached our setup a couple shots rang out about 1/4 mile away. We had hope this would push something our way. We saw a couple of turkeys but the evening hunt was otherwise completely uneventful.

Friday morning found us headed to the same spot. FireTiger had a lot of confidence in that area. The same truck from the evening before was parked there again. Guess he missed.

Lots of turkeys had roosted nearby. A group of toms came through and put on a little show.

uc

Around 7:30am, I caught movement right in front of me. FireTiger was facing directly away.

Buck buck buck buck!

A 2.5 year old (probably) tall 8 point stepped out from behind a cedar on the upper trail at a mere 30 yards, one of the few places they could get that close without us knowing. In 3 years hunting this spot, this is the first time I've seen an older buck on this trail.

By the time FireTiger had turned to look he had us nailed. We only had a few seconds warning. She had that mental debate of "throw the gun up and shoot" vs "move very slowly and hope he loses interest." She chose the latter. The buck gave about 10 seconds before bounding around down in front of us. He stopped at 40 yards but FireTiger had no shot. Another 20 seconds of staring and he finally leapt out of there. He passed through the best shooting lane but was moving far too quickly for a shot.

We stayed in position there through lunch but only birds and squirrels entertained us.

uc

For the evening, FireTiger elected to try the area we had been inundated with cattle the first day of the hunt - as long as the cows weren't there. Once again we saw no deer, but at least 100 turkeys.

uc

uc

Saturday FireTiger made the call to head to our original spot again. We were starting to question ourselves but had faith. Also, its a good escape route and we expected additional hunter pressure due to it being the weekend. We pushed ourselves to be up earlier to be in position well before shooting light and managed to get settled with 15 minutes to go.

It wasn't long when I looked behind to my right and spotted a deer working its way along the fence line ( not the property boundary ). Ironically, FireTiger and I had switched positions after the buck from the day before as we determined she could more easily cover more area from there. Naturally, this deer was in perfect position from where she had been before. We watched as the deer continued down the fence, finally exposing his head above the sage. Buck! I laid down while FireTiger got set up over me. BANG! The buck disappeared.

The shot had hit just in front of the near shoulder and exited behind the last rib on the far side, taking out both lungs.

uc

uc

We took care of him gutless style and packed him out. Surprisingly, there were no other vehicles at the lot when we made it back.

Sunday, we finished the processing.

AnimalApprox. AgeDateTenderloinBackstrapStew MeatSteak/ShankFlankRoastHamburgerOrgansTotal (In Pounds)
Forrest's CO Whitetail Buck1.510/31/20200.95.151.8100.4111.03303.0652.36

Dad and I are Nebraska bound tomorrow. FireTiger and I have an appointment on Monday I need to be home for, but otherwise I don't plan on returning home until I've filled Nebraska and Colorado archery tags. We'll see if that's a possibility. :D Its too bad I can't hunt both places from the same camp!

On the road! Dad is already in Nebraska and will get an evening hunt in. I should have signal at camp, so I may try to live update.

Good luck... hope you get that double! My brother and I have 3rd season buck tags picked up on the reissue list.

First morning started decently but fizzled quickly. 3 spike bucks and 6 does before sunrise but they bedded up quickly. Just some squirrels after that.

Wind was forecast NW swap to S in the afternoon. I guess 8am is afternoon now? Have had winds from most every direction. Getting pretty toasty out, too.

Feeling stupid.

First evening I set up my treestand near a suspected bedding area. I couldn't find a tree any further than 8 yards from the main trail. 5pm I started hearing noises, eventually spotting a shooter buck 150 yards away. A few minutes later a doe popped out of that brush patch, circled and came right down my trail.

The buck had disappeared as she closed to 20 yards. Another group of 3 does appeared as she passed right by perfectly on the trail. As the lead doe of the second group split off to head my way, the buck showed up closer and locked on.

As the second doe passed by, the buck closed to 25 yards then suddenly ran back where he came from. It was an "are you kidding me?" moment, but a few minutes later he was right back where I needed him.

As he hit 10 yards, still mostly straight on to me, he stopped to make a scrape. I was mentally in a good shape until this point. The buck started licking the branches above and looked straight at me. He then looked back over his shoulder and this is where stupid kicked in. For some reason my brain said look at that wide open path between his shoulder and neck straight to the heart! I placed the pin and let fly to exactly the result one would expect, about 6 inches of penetration.

Why the heck didnt I just wait? He was sure to walk by broadside within minutes. He didnt notice me in the tree and the does were chilling on the other side.

It's all I've been able to think about for the last 36 hours. I spent yesterday morning attempting to follow the little blood there was and eventually trying likely paths, but only was able to find sign out to 90 yards.

Yesterday evening was 85 degrees, 45 mph winds and no deer. Same forecast for the next 2 days.

Keep after it, you don't seem like the type to give in easily.
Something good may come from this. 💥 💪

Reactions: trb
2 does at 150 yards from the stand this morning. Had to bail around 830 due to the winds and wind direction. Moved 1/2 mile to a natural blind. Didn't see any natural movement but bumped a couple deer. Kind of surprised they caught me as it is so loud. Hoping the tent holds up.

Heading deep into the brushy bottom this afternoon as it will be too windy for the stand.

Dad has seen a total of 3 does since Wednesday.

Forecast is on track. I didnt see anything yesterday morning, though I spent the majority of it looking for sign of the buck I hit a couple days ago. No sign of him and no deer jumped in the area was very concerning to me. I found two more treestands in the bedding area though.

Dad saw 3 does last night.

I'm home for the appt but will be making the 5 hour drive back this afternoon.

5 hours later and I am back at deer camp. Lots of deer feeding in the fields on the drive in, including those near camp.

Best of all, in the corn field closest to my stand was a bunch of deer including a nice buck. As I watched him push a doe around in front of me, I got the best news I could ... it was the buck I had hit last Thursday.

Photo is garbage but I'm posting it anyway!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-204924_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-204924_Video Player.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 22
5 hours later and I am back at deer camp. Lots of deer feeding in the fields on the drive in, including those near camp.

Best of all, in the corn field closest to my stand was a bunch of deer including a nice buck. As I watched him push a doe around in front of me, I got the best news I could ... it was the buck I had hit last Thursday.

Photo is garbage but I'm posting it anyway!
Great news on that. Now go get him and make it count this time!

Big change in weather. Today started with snow and mid 20s with 10mph winds. Expectations were high.

I am set up 16ft up a tree on the old lake edge in tall grass with cottonwood and brush. The creek is 40 yards in front to my west. The other side of the creek is a steep pine covered bluff with open land on top. To my north is a thick drainage heading towards corn and west toward private creekbottom. To my south is another thick drainage. Behind, to my east, is wide open grassy dry lake with some islands or brush and trees. I am here because I expect does bedding in the thick drainages and bucks to cruise between them.

1030am spotted a 1.5yo buck near the bedding brush 150 yards to my south.
1040am two does 50 yards west across the creek from me.
1200pm doe 10 yards away in brush to my nw.
430pm doe across the creek. She isn't using one back leg. She heads south and crosses the creek.
435pm young buck follows to the south
440pm both deer pass back north, buck still on far side of creek. I see the doe twice more.
445pm Another doe briefly appears across creek
505pm same buck appears straight north of me. Passed by at 6 yards on the way back to the brush to the south.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-190448_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201110-190448_Video Player.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Same spot today.

730am huge buck crosses the open lake bed behind and directly downwind of me. He is unphased. As he hits cover, i stop him with a snort wheeze. He looks but doesn't change direction.

810am four does pass by on the berm 80 yards north of me and eventually cross the creek 50 yards west of me.

820am two does on the berm drop down and work to 15 yards. While filming them, significant crashing to my south. The huge buck is pushing a doe at me at full speed. She hits my wind 20 yards behind me and changes direction 140 degrees. They're gone as fast as they came.

830am two does work the brush to my south

840am a young 7pt buck crosses the creek 50 yards to my west. He works to my north and is spooked off by a bobcat.

Met up with dad. He needs a new spot as he hasn't seen anything in days. Thinks the bird hunters are keeping deer away from his stand. I set him up 150 yards from me where I am consistently seeing deer. He has one day left and would like to fill the freezer.

437pm two does directly across the creek from me. One goes south one north.

455pm the doe that went south crossed the creek and worked all the way back in front of me, and then turned around

520pm the same doe pops out headed toward my dad. I watch eagerly. She gets to 40 yards from him, then turns around again. He never saw her.

Attachments

• 20201111_073955.jpg
    20201111_073955.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 12
Hunted the same spot this morning. West wind to start

745am doe 60 yards NW of me follows the creek past me to the south

810am I hear a thud to my right and look just in time to see a doe turn away at 30 yards. Theres two of them. Not sure where they came from but they walk away to the north

840am wind switches to North and the gusts really start kicking again. Not a great direction for this stand.

The wind is supposed to switch again, to south, this evening. That makes the evening hunt particularly difficult, as I dont know when that change will happen.

Dad, having not seen a buck this whole trip and no deer for several days ( hes been here for 10 days and spent a week out here in October too) headed home at lunchtime.

I'm going to go for a long walk, I think. Not generally the most effective with a bow but it worked for me 2 years ago.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back