Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Vanish and FireTiger's 2020 Journal

Keep after it. Persistence pays off and it will happen for ya. I know you know all that, but sometimes it helps to be reminded! Looking forward to seeing that big buck in your hands.

On the drive out, I listened to a Wired to Hunt podcast with Aaron Warbritton of The Hunting Public. He discussed how they've changed their rut strategy. Instead of waiting for it to come to then, they go find the action. Rut crazed bucks aren't paying as much attention - just dont blow out the doe.

I decided to try this idea this afternoon and it mostly worked. After about 3 hours of hiking I bumped a doe from a brush patch. A buck soon followed, and another buck and doe after. They went over a slight rise into another brush patch, but only the first two appeared on the opposite hill. I eased my way over in time to see the second buck turn into the cover in the bottom of the draw.

The brush patch is like 10 yards wide, 150 yards long, 10 feet tall and so thick you cant see through it. I slinked around to the opposite side of it to get the wind in my favor. I hadn't seen movement, but looking uphill straight into the sun showed two bucks sneaking away; what looked like the one I was stalking and a much larger buck. I watched them go over the hill and off the property, resigned to another blown opportunity.

I make this mistake consistently when stalking deer. After a few less cautious steps, the buck I had been after jumped from the cover only 50 yards away and ran up the hill. As I watched him, feeling like an idiot, my brain registered yet another buck standing where the previous buck had been. I knocked and arrow and ranged him at 46 yards. This was a younger buck than I've been looking for, but the circumstance was cool and tomorrow is the last day before rifle season.

I didn't have a shot and the way this year has gone I wanted him closer anyway. He seemed aware of my presence but not spooked. There was a doe still in the brush. He milled around for 5-10 minutes always keeping an eye on me. He got as close as 22 yards - I should note I am literally standing on a wide open grassy hillside, though unmoving.

He finally turned around and started walking quartering away. I took this as my opportunity, stopped him with a merp and sent one over his back. 🤔 I dont know how I could have missed that much, but maybe he simply ducked the string. I can hit a coke can at 50 yards so I dont know why I've had such trouble this year.

Attachments

• 20201112_163840.jpg
    20201112_163840.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Oh so close. Spot and stalk, or this case a combination of still hunting and spot and stalk, with a bow is tough! Good action and now you know where some bucks are. they won't go far. Go let the air out of one.

This morning was perfect conditions for my stand so I headed there again. It was a whopping 14 degrees this morning. It felt like first light all the way until 9am.

915am the buck I passed on a couple days ago appears on the other side of the creek. He works his way south and crosses to my side into the brush. He doesn't reappear.

920am two does blitz across the lake bed

950am I hear a noise and look around to see a deer crossing the open lake bed, head down and out... buck. As I get my binos up I see another deer in front of it, the doe. The head right through where I had my dad the other day. It's the buck I hit high on my first day. They pass through to the south.

1100am I catch movement to the south. It's the young buck from earlier. He had bedded in that thick brush. He also passes through where I'd had my dad sit and heads south.

1150am the winds are ripping now. I pull my stand set and head back to camp.

I'm going to eat some lunch, tear down camp and head over to the brush patches to hopefully glass something up this evening. Then it's on to Eastern Colorado.

Attachments

• 20201113_121957.jpg
    20201113_121957.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
This afternoon I slowly worked my way towards where the action had been last night. I would carefully glass the brush patches, especially those on the leeward side of the draws. This was a fun change of pace but only resulted in 3 spooked does.

I made it to the draw from last night a little after 4pm. I set up next to a yucca-like plant 30 yards above the brush. I expected to be able to see more of the brush patches lower down but I couldn't do that and also be in position for a shot.

Shortly after 5pm I shuffled my way to a point above the draw. I was more exposed but figured if anything was in the close patch I would have seen it by now. I could see almost an entire mile of edge from this spot. Just as I was thinking it was ridiculous there were no deer around, I caught a doe moving in my binos.

And just like that at 520pm it went from nothing to 8 does and a young buck. It looked a lot like the buck it whiffed on the night before. They had all been bedded in those lower patches, but were all around 300 yards from me spread out across the bottom.

I watched the buck check does heading south, and then with 10 minutes left saw him coming back north. I made a last ditch attempt to intercept him but he didnt show.

Attachments

• 20201113_162507.jpg
    20201113_162507.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
That was most likely the end of the Nebraska hunt for the year. Technically, one can hunt with their bow and archery tag during rifle season. I was mildly interested in seeing what it was like as it has been four years since we rifle hunted there, however I forgot to pack the required orange. That could be resolved with a trip to the store but considering I have a tag for Colorado, I figured my time would be better spent hunting deer that aren't being shot at with rifles.

I could also potentially go back after the rifle season, but that's a pretty tough row to hoe on public land. If things end up slow around Thanksgiving who knows.

I am planning on hunting a rut funnel in the morning. Curious to see how long I last as this is the forecast:

Patchy blowing dust between 11am and 4pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Very windy, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph increasing to 30 to 40 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.

What would you do in the afternoon in those conditions?

The winds are alright so far. Hope they give me a few hours.

I scouted this spot back in August. It's kind of out of the way and a place and I'm not sure how many other hunters would consider.

This morning I packed in extra early to set up my stand. I had picked out two possible trees back the. The first tree ended up being too big around to get my stand in. My second tree selection now has someone else's stand in it. I guess I'm not so creative after all.

Everywhere I scout in this unit seems to already have a stand or two.

This morning ended up being much nicer weather wise than I expected. The wind has arrived but I got in 4 hours of seeing no deer first. The only thing walking past my stand was pheasant hunters.

Making a hot lunch today. Then I guess its boots on the ground because I dont have a game plan, as tempting as @daven 's suggestion of a nap sounds.... maybe a short one. 😉

I took a bit of a drive to gauge the hunting pressure. There definitely is some. Also picked up my trail cam but dont have a reader on me.

The winds were upgraded to 40-50mph with 65mph gusts and I'd only had 6 hours sleep so I did take Dave's advice.

3pm I headed out to scout where I left off in the summer. I started finding some scrapes as I got closer to the young growth. I also found a couple more treestands.

415pm I found a heavily used crossing with scrapes so I decided to set up there for the last 45 minutes. ( time zone change means everything is an hour earlier )

444pm (eol 503pm) I heard crunching to my left. A doe popped out at 30 yards and started feeding toward me. She worked to about 15 yards with a Russian olive between us when I heard crunching while she wasnt moving. A deep grunt confirmed my suspicion; a buck was following.

Now I dont know how it happened, but that doe suddenly looked right at me through the Russian olive. She had me pegged. She readjusted a bit all the whole head bobbing until she bounded back where she came from. She didn't immediately leave but after a couple minutes blew and bounded off, taking the unseen buck with her.

Doe was in bottom right of photo. You cant see her.

Attachments

• 20201114_163422.jpg
    20201114_163422.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Damn, you hunt hard!

If I am to be totally honest, this is a mental challenge. I dont mind not shooting anything, but I like seeing animals. These last two days that voice saying to go home and take a break has been getting pretty loud. However, I know I can hunt now, but not what will happen once I get home. The nicer weather today is helping.

------

This morning i was about to head back where i was last night when I saw a headlamp headed that way. I altered course and set up near the scrapes I found yesterday. Theres some heavy trails there and seemed like a good place for a buck to chase a doe as there is heavy cover along both sides of a very long overgrown opening.

830am I hadn't seen anything so I pushed in deeper. 250 yards back and what do I find, yet another treestand. I gave this one a shot until 11am. This is not typical for me to do but i cant seem to find a decent spot without one. I believe that puts me at 9 stands I've found so far.

It's a good looking spot but i dont see anything except a couple squirrels.

The wind has switched to the west sp I'm going to go scout another spot. Running a but low on supplies, namely TP!

Attachments

• 20201115_070724.jpg
    20201115_070724.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Sometimes you are forced to a mental break ...right in the middle of the rut 😅 keep on keepin on

On the way home, I stopped and got the string put back on the cam. The tech also redid my drop away line and reset the peep.

Yesterday, I went to the range and verified everything was still dead on. I was kind of surprised at that. I was also pretty happy with my shooting, so I guess I just need to work on my buck fever.

When I got home, FireTiger told me she had bought a reissue'd bull elk tag for 4th season for an area we'd never been before. We can't even leave until Thursday afternoon. Adventure time?!

Yahoo! I just put another coin in so this journal keeps going! Good luck.

I'm not done with whitetails yet, either. This will eat some of that time but you don't argue with the wife.

We're going to be hunting some lower elevation PJ country hoping the elk have moved in for the winter. Any legal bull is in trouble.

CO Whitetail Take 3 - Morning 1

I got up way too early this morning to try to be in place by shooting light. As I turned down the first street, the low tire pressure light came on. One tire at 22psi instead of 35psi. Ugh. Back to the house to fill it back up at 3am. Sure FireTiger and the neighbors loved that.

I headed to spot B first, but it had 2 vehicles. Spot A had 6! Trucks parked at it!! I passed a couple more as I hit the other side of the property for spot C, which was vacant. I honestly thought I would have the place pretty much to myself at this time in the season.

I was all suited up and headed in a couple minutes before light, so a bit behind schedule. Sure enough, I jumped a deer right next to where I was going to set up, and then I bumped a good buck and doe. I eased my way in to the next spot but nothing showed by 9am, so I decided to scout some more.

Marking a spot about 500 yards away that looked like it would be good for tonight's wind, I still hunted my way there. Within 100 yard radius of that pin I found 3 more treestands ( 2 of which were from the same person I'm certain, set for different winds) and a game camera. Seemed like they were attempting some hinge cutting as there were 30ish trees cut about 3-5 feet up... on public!

I headed back to the car about 11am. Doing some pressure scouting and might check some food source activity as were transitioning to late season.

Attachments

• 20201127_091456.jpg
    20201127_091456.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20201127_105155.jpg
    20201127_105155.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20201127_092043.jpg
    20201127_092043.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Back