Yeti GOBOX Collection

Vacuum sealer bags

BillDoe708

I'm about out of vacuum sealer bags. I have a food saver sportsman. I have always purchased rolls of bags and made my own to size as I needed them. We use this for deer, fish, chicken ect.

What bags are you guys using? Brand?

Last edited:
I just bought KOOTEX pre-cut bags off Amazon. They work as good or better than food saver bags and a are a hell of a lot cheaper. No more FoodSaver bags for this guy.

When I buy again I'll get some with Liquid Block

71gI+MryZ1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

We use a lot of bags every year, several thousand for salmon fillets. We use a few dozen for hunt camps. As do many others we simply make our meals at home, vacuum seal and then drop the whole works into the hot water tank on wood stove. Dinner is a piece of cake.
Over the last two years we have had a couple of catastrophic bag failures. Nothing like watching your lasagna slide out of the bag into five gallons of boiling water. This has happend using roll cut and precut bags. The source is a little ambiguous. Didn’t happen every time but this year we double bagged everything we took to elk and deer camp and the dinners survived. Worth a few extra pennies and a few minutes time.
I use precut bags for fish processing and deer or elk butchering. I use the wider rolls for pre-made meals or whole fish fillets. They all seem about the same quality.

Like Slamonchaser, we go through a ton of bags a year. I'm not partial to any brand, and buy 3 to 3.5mil bags off Amazon. I don't like the "laminated" type bags as the seal doesn't seem to last as long in them. I use rolls for making big bags of trim/fish that gets made into product, smoked, or big roasts. Otherwise 90% of my stuff goes into quart size bags, steaks, roasts, fillets, burger, etc. With food savers, the first thing that craps out is the heating/sealing bar. So making your own bags means the life of your sealer is cut in half on a per package count. The rolls really aren't really any cheaper, especially if you're like me and make the bag too big and have to trim it. The sealing bar is small, and eventually they will burn out.

i buy the premade bags from amazon ranging from pint-gallon size. I also have a few rolls laying around incase i have something that doesnt fit in a premade bag.

We seal all of our garden veggies plus the deer I butcher, usually 2 per year. I buy things at the store in bulk and repack them into meals. Things like chuck roasts that come wrapped in the styrofoam tray get repacked. I've had great luck getting my bags on EBay in the pint, quart and gallon sizes. MOST things fit in these sizes. Cutting rolls to length and sealing both ends is twice the work and sealer use, as Bambistew mentioned. I normally can get 200 pint bags for around $28 with free shipping. 200 quarts for maybe $36? Saves a LOT of time by not having to make your own bags, when precuts pretty much will handle everything you want to seal.

Like Slamonchaser, we go through a ton of bags a year. I'm not partial to any brand, and buy 3 to 3.5mil bags off Amazon. I don't like the "laminated" type bags as the seal doesn't seem to last as long in them. I use rolls for making big bags of trim/fish that gets made into product, smoked, or big roasts. Otherwise 90% of my stuff goes into quart size bags, steaks, roasts, fillets, burger, etc. With food savers, the first thing that craps out is the heating/sealing bar. So making your own bags means the life of your sealer is cut in half on a per package count. The rolls really aren't really any cheaper, especially if you're like me and make the bag too big and have to trim it. The sealing bar is small, and eventually they will burn out.
Agree, Thinking of buying the Sealer to seal one end of the bag separate from the Food Saver. If it woarks like they say this should keep the cooling down on the Food saver.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back